Power Plus vs. Ugly Stik 'Catfish'

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by river_rat_42, Mar 11, 2007.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I live near the Clarksville IN. Bass Pro Shop and I am going this weekend to get a rod for my Ambassedeur 5500C3. I already have two Catmaxx Rods with a 7000 and a 6500 on em'. And both of them are great, beefy setups. Therefore I am looking for a rod a little less beefy and stiff, so I can use circle hooks. (the circle hooks just wern't workin' on the heavy duty Catmaxx's) So I am lookin for a flexible rod that I can use circle hooks on, and also this rod needs to have enough backbone to bring in a big o' river cat.
    I know the Tiger rods are awesome, but my 5500C3 and the Tigers just don't work, plus I don't wanna spend much... at all. The Ugly Stiks im talkin' bout' are the regular "white" Ugly Stik Catfish rods. So, Finally, Between the Power Plus Trophy Class rods and the Ugly Stik Catfish rods, which is the better, stronger, more flexible, with alot of backbone rod?
    THANKS!!!!!!!!

2. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i dont know about the power plus rods but i have 4 of the ugly cat rods-good rod-should work good with the smaller abus.

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    go for ugly stik catfish, I have one power plus before, it was broke, then I bought first ugly stik catfish, I don't have any problem with this ugly stik as long time..

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U might wont to try a 6' or 7' foot M or MH.

5. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I have an 8 foot ugly stick that is awsome, heavy duty for the big ones but sensitive enough for the small ones. It is great and i would never ever ever use another rod.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    In my opinion the power plus trophy class and the Daiwa Beefstick are great rods for the money.I have recently installed 2 of Cabela's "Salt Striker SS6600 reels spooled with 30 lb.Magibraid from BP on 2 POWERPLUS Trophy class #1055 7'6" Med Hvy Act 1/2-2 0z.Lure wt. 10-25 lb.Line 7G 06A rods for my son and grandson to use.The reels are Pflueger trion 66 as far as I can tell in comparing them and they have the same detailed parts list and schematic.I rigged these this way for salt and fresh water bait fishing with bottom rigs or floats and yet they will cast or troll plugs.The purpose of the braid is to float your line over shell rakes for salt water Red fish and Trout fishing.They were satisfied with the rigs in every way so far.I also have the the POWER PLUS Trophy class rod on a SHIMANO Charter Special 2000 Lever Drag reel.Now this is a GREAT unbelievable rig.I have the "Beefstick"on a Penn 345 GTI level wind which was spooled with 600 yards of BP mono at BP.I like both brands of spinning rods too.I can no longer handle a very big fish,but I do still love to put rigs together(how ever slow)and watch others fish while I catch the bait.I hope you find what you like and are as satisfied as I have been.I love You Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I drift fish with the 8' white catfish with circle hooks the tip has just the right amount of flex , I have 6 of them casting style with the little trigger and a abu 6500 c3 with 20 lb suffix siege orange on all of them ,I have had no problems with them at all .OMO

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I was wanting to try the Daiwa Beefstick but bass pro here didnt stock them:angry: the white uglies are a great rod for a wide range of cats!!!