Power Pack for Evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by catcam, Jun 26, 2006.

1. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    So I got towed in on Saturday...
    Thank goodness for BoatUS!
    My problem is this, I need a new power pack for a 1989 88 Special Evinrude. Anyone ever replaced, installed, know about what it cost, parts and labor? My boat is sitting at my friend's shop- I would appreciate any heads up or advice if someone has it.
    Thanks a bunch- Jennifer

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Jennifer, It's not a major problem changing the power pack. Two bolts to remove it then unplug everything from the stator and the four coils. There's a ground wire from the power pack that needs to be connected back to one of the two bolts.

As for cost, I can let you know later this afternoon when I get back from work. I'm home for lunch now.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The power pack I priced runs $88.00 rounded off. It's a Sierra brand, not original equipment. A Johnson power pack will cost considerably more, and do the same job.

There's 3 bolts holding it on, not 2. Sits on top of the block to the rear port side. It has 1 black ground wire, 4 orange wires, and 2 plug in's to the stator wires.

2 of the orange wires go to the opposit side,and two shorter orange wires stay on the port side. they plug onto the coils. The orange wires with green stripes go to the bottom coils, the ones with the blue stipes go to the top coils..

You can't miss how the plug in goes for the stator hook up, they only go one way.

Hook up the black ground wire to the single bolt that holds the coil on the back end and under the power pack

You could do it with a 3/8 wrench or socket in about a half hr.

4. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks, Bob!
    Great information!! I priced one through outboardwizard and it's $126.27- I will check on this brand, Sierra since you say it will do the same job. Jennifer

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    This outboard wizard must be delivering it and charging you for the gas. Let me know if you can't find the Sierra brand. I'll ship you one for less than 100.00

6. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Bob, I sent this info to my friend who is going to perform the work on my boat. He has a shop and is dealer so if he can't find it for less, I would appreciate that. It's nice having you here on the BOC.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    We order ours through Land-n-Sea, a marine products supplier.

If yor friend's a Johnson/Evinrude dealer, he may not like doing it that way, but what the heck, it's all made in Mexico.