Power lines - fish attracted to the electricty?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by zappaf19, Jan 11, 2006.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    The lake I fish has high voltage power lines going across it. It seems that you can always catch under them near shore. People tell me thats because of the el. waves coming off them. Could this be true?
    Bill

2. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    might be true we have a fishing spot called the powerlines and there are always fish around

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Could it be the birds roost in the towers.The poop and poop all night long. most of those birds eat shad, guess what, natural chum!

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    My grandson and I have discussed this very phenomenon before. We've found the same thing to be true, and I have read a little about it. I'm not sure there's any scientific proof available, though. There was once quite a bit of speculation over health hazards to humans living in such areas, too, but I haven't heard anything about that in years. Maybe no one wants to accept accountability??? Even in my yard, where the power supply from the pole to my house is underground, it is apparent exactly where the cable lies. In drought or in the fall, that area always turns brown first.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Man, I dont know? But I wont really beleieve that it attracts fish until it it scientifically proven.:)

Zakk.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    mybe the lines and the pole from it causes it to cast a shade on the water and the fish use it for that purpose.I dont know sounds good to me.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    There may be a few holes deeper than the rest of the area covered by the lines. The holes were probably made whent the lines were put in.

8. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    I have read where it has been proven that sharks are attracted to electrical impulses. I have also read where other fish (not proven) are also attracted? Does sound reasonable if you think about it with their lateral lines in mind.

Frank

9. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    The lines are on towers not poles. So they are not in the water. I am glad to see I am not the only one to have heard of this.
    Bill

10. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    I have found the same thing to be true on several occasions. At first I thought it was coincidence but after watching my depthfinder I noticed no structural difference on the lakebed. Everytime my drift would take me past the lines I would get hits on almost every rod. The bird thing could explain it but I have never seen a bird on these lines.

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Top i think had it right... the birds will sit up on them and rest, relieving them selves in the water... its a source of chum and probably food for some smaller fish too... which both attract larger fish including catfish...

and while it is possible to attract fish with certain types of impulses, the powerlines that go over the water are insulated and there for not giving off any electrical signal....

There is also the thought of if fish are attracted to electricity then why don't we try attracting them by dropping batteries in the water? or just let the battery for our trolling motor and or what ever other battery we've got do the work for us... hmmm maybe that'd be a good experiment for someone out there...

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19443&postcount=1

Zap, read the above link. These are the birds that I am referring to. They roost on our towers here on the lake. As you know, because I have posted many times we have a nuclear plant here on our Lake/river. Those towers carry the lines from the plant.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well thats intresting. the clinton lake i fish just happens to have powerlines going over it. ill have to try it. last year i was drifting around them and had a 30# line snapped.:eek:

14. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Check out the downriggers for fishing.A lot of the higher priced ones incorporate electric charges fed to the wire weight lines.It seems that they have done a lot of research on it.They use positive ions.I wo'nt mention the name,but you will get a bang out of it.
    BILL

15. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    In my US History Class, we were learning about the first International wire thing. It was the firtst connection between the US and Britian by wire. They commonly had trouble with sharks and other unmentioned, toothy critters biting the cable.

16. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    Ya the power lines I was talking about are on towers and I never see any birds on them. I have seen then on the towers but they are on land. I think nosnag has a good point I have seen those downriggers.

17. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    It's a little known fact, but it is true that fish are often caught under power lines. As to why, it beats me, but I always fish them and do good. Vern

18. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    It's been noted that many animals use magnetic fields for navigation. Maybe that has something to do with it? I know of at least 4 high voltage transmission lines in my area that are all good areas to fish. I know of another line that is submerged across the intracoastal waterway, and this is also usually a good area to fish.
    Now, none of these are going to produce every trip, but over time, they consistently produce fish.

19. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    About a mile below Pickwick dam theres a big power line. Its the main feed, And we always catch the fire out of channels above them. Along the river channel but I think the reason there in there. Is when they cut the channel out years ago. They piled some of the big limestone rocks along the edge of the channel, And that is what draws them in.
    But it could also be something to the power lines also.

PEte

20. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I have a friend that lives a couple of blocks from some high power lines. If you walk out underneath of then you can feel the magnetic current, so is probably the same in the water. Snow melts faster under them usually also, must be a little warmer. JMO