power head swap

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by kyjake, Apr 3, 2009.

1. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a motor that hasn't been run in years,still free and has 55 lb. compression turning motor with a pull rope.It is an electric shift.This motor ran great when parked,but the low compression has me worried.Found a 1973 Johnson manual shift motor with bad power head and would like to buy it and swap the power heads out if mine is still OK.The model # of my motor is 50173s.
    Jake

2. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would put some oil in the cylinders and see if the compression comes back up, the rings may be sticky from sitting and leaking compression by. Also, you might see more compression if you could get it to start. Just an idea. Chris

3. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    You could be right,will try some winterizing spray and see if that helps.Dripped a little oil into the cylinders off the end of a screwdriver before cranking but that is laying on the bottom.
    Jake

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Most of the time after a little ageing ( The rope puller) not the engine if we can get 70 out of them we are lucky.:smile2: At 55 if both cylinders are even I would run it. As for putting every thing over on a electric shift off a straight shift I have never attempted that. I would stand that engine on its nose and soak those cylinders in marvel mystery oil for a couple days and the let it drain out and then start. After running I would say it will come on up.

5. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Have plenty hydraulic oil,will fill the cylinders today and check it again in about a week.
    Jake