Power Handles

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Catman 1964, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Just got the new 2006 C3 and was wondering about adding a Power Handle:confused2: . Do they work just curious because I found a spot on the Rio Grande that is just screaming Flatheads so the Handle may come in handy. You all take care and God Bless

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have heard nothing but good about em. I am going to get one for my 6500 C3 also.

3. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    Do it! You will wonder why you haven't added the power handle to all your reels. Liked mine so well that I had a machine shop friend custom make me one with a larger aluminum knob that is offset a little so it is self leveling.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I may have some extra ones. I loved them at first, but then found out I didnt like them so much on my 6000's.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Mellon....ship one to

George Hardbarger
    70 Powell St.
    Ashville, OH 43103

I will take one off your hands, just let me know how much. I think I got $1 in change laying around the house. LMAO

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I've learned the hard way that the smaller paddle handles are on a reel for a reason. The gears of the reel are not designed to handle somethin that will turn the reel into a winch.

7. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Power handles aren't going to cause any problems.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You wont need a power handle on that reel, it will handle the flatheads just fine the way it is...But it wont hurt either.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I put them on both of my 65"s. I don't think you will regret getting them. Keep in mind what George said, they wont convert you reel in to a power wench, so go easy. What they will do is make retrieving your line a lot more comfortable and smoother. When I used to bring my line in in heavily snagged water, I would reel as fast as I could to keep my rig from hitting bottom, and I'm sure it has happened to many people, your hand slips off the smaller handle and, bang your hung up! With the power handles I don't have that problem.

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Still lookin fer my wench "set up", Big Surf Spin & a 2.8 to 1 gears. I've stripped a few gears on my reels so Big George has it right above!!

:after_boom:

11. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    My self I think a wench is the action, but then I never catch anything very big anyway.

12. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I got one from a local store so I will try if I don't like it I will let you all know. Thank you all for your input it is really appreciated. Take care and God Bless.

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Added a power handle to one of my 6500's a couple of weeks ago and I like the feel it gives me. I will add another one soon. These are on my channel cat rods so doubt I'll ever get anything on the other end large enough to strip gears. I pump and reel when fighting a fish, can't say I've ever put a lot of stress on the gears(the drag is another story:smile2: )

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    H2O Mellon, if you have a silver power handle you want to sell shoot me a PM. Thanks

15. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    My "Honey Hole" is "SNAG CITY" , I don't pump them there but hold my 10' rods as high as I can and don't pump as I don't want them even to think about the bottom there!!!!! I know its not the right way on the equipment BUT.

In "04" I went thru approx $140.00 worth of sinkers there just to give ya an idea of how many snags there are there. Now I mold my own plus learned alittle on how not to snag up there.

:feel_good:

16. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I bet you've had even practice retying rigs that you would have to be considered an"expert". That has got to be a very frustrating place to fish..........more power to you!!

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The power handles come standard on the 6500 TC reels, thats (Trophy Collection). The TC reels are basically the same as C3's. You won't hurt your reel gears by adding one. All they do is let you take in a few more inches of line per revolution because they are longer than the stock handles, and give you a larger surface area to grip while fighting a fish. I got mine from Abu at their Pure Fishing site for 8.50 each a few years back. Just be sure which you are getting cause the handles for the 7000's look the same but the hole in the center for the spindle and nut is larger than the 6500's. If you put one of those on no matter how tight you crank the nut down it will slip back and forth under pressure.

18. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Tried out the Power handle and really like it. Does anyone know why the 6500TC series reel has a higher Gear Ratio? Someone said the addition of a Power Handle lowers the Gear ratio. Thank you all for your help. Take care and God Bless.

19. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Actually, the line recovery per turn of the handle is exactly the same no matter what type of handle you put on. The longer handle just gives you a bit more leverage so that reeling under load is easier, and like you said, gives you more surface area to grip when fighting a fish.

20. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    That is correct. It jsut gives your more tourqe. It spreads out the amount of work over a longer distance making it feel like it is reeled in more easily reeled in.