Power handles: Like 'em or not?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Bill in SC, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    When I first saw power handles, I did not think I would like them. Having since used them, they have become very comfortable, providing a real good feel for the reel. I especially like the Abu Garcia soft rubber ones. Do you folks look for that feature when buying a reel?
    Bill in SC

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I love the power handles. I've put them on 2 of my 6500's and plan on doing that to the rest of my reels. I feel like you can get some really good cranking power with them to get the hook/sinkers up off the bottom. Not sure if they do or not but it feels like it...:roll_eyes:
    The old regular handles just don't feel the same anymore to me.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I do use some on the abu reels, but since I let the rod do most of the work by pumping and reeling, on big fish, the biggest benefit I get is the little extra length that is better for me with all the arthritis I have in my hands. I can really feel it the next day after a successful fishing trip, sometimes:sad2:.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have reels with and without. I prefer the Power Handles.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love Abu Power Handles. I've even installed Power Handles on Abu Reels such as the 6000's. I just love how they feel.

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    The only way to go when the reels are used like what we do when catfishing. The Abu power handles also fit several other brands, like Quantum and the Pinnacle Vision. They also work well for BIG artificials. I do like the regular double paddle handles on reels that I'm using for smaller artificial baits or other monotonous casting applications, most of the time.

7. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I have been contemplating on retroing a couple of my older reels with power handles. I left them for plug striper fishing but since I dont do that anymore I was wondering whether to put power handles on them.
    Thanks

8. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I like them on my Penns. They are a bit pricey though...

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yeah, right at $15 a pop.

BB in SC

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Bill I have power handles on my 7000's which came with them, and I added them to all my 6500.

Do they make a difference? Probably not, but they look good!! :crazy:

11. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I like them on my Abu's. They come on all the 7000's and I put them on the 6500's I fish with a lot. I feel like it gives me more cranking power.

12. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    All my C3s had the regular dual cranks but since i have got newer reels. My blue cat and my New TC 6500s I love them. They feel so much better now that im used to them! I will never go back!

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I lucked out on the power handles for my Abu's....I can get them for me for $10 even...:wink::cool2:

14. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I will put power handles on every reel I ever get, I didn't use them at first but when I decided to put one on I noticed the difference right away. Actually I am going to get a new abu 6500 reel tomorrow and I bought a power handle for it a few weeks ago.

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'm not sure if I understand Power Handles,,, If you get a reel with ,,,whatever ratio,,, say 6.3:1 with the stock handle and you put on a power handle (Longer Handle??),,, wouldn't you be lowering your Retrieve ratio...??(Slower) To say 5.3:1 If you're desiring a More Power,,,,,,, why not just buy a lower ratio Reel, that'll just winch them in...

On a 6500 Garcia, you can get different pinion gears (Ratios) and they are cheaper than the handles....

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    If it done anything it would make the spool speed up,since the handle is longer you would think,But It doe'snt change a thing,as you bolt your handle on it is set, one complete turn gives you your gear ratio, with a longer Power handle, or with the double handle,the revolutions of the spool does'nt change. That would be in the gears.

17. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My 7000iCS came with a power handle. The two 6500 series I have do not. I prefer the dual paddles on the 6500's because I feel like I can retrieve faster with them. I need to get the sinkers and hook in as fast a possible to avoid snags from rocks and debris in the river. When a big fish is on, I don't think it matters at all, my main concern then is the drag and again avoiding snags. May be all in my head. Good luck.

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Love them too. I'm more comfortable with the bigger handle when I'm reeling in fast.....more natural for me.

19. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Just put a new power handle on my new 6500 and man I love it! The diffrence is night and day. I haven't got a chance to fish with it all day yet, but I'm sure it will make things a lot easier.:big_smile:

20. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    all these posts and no one has mentioned reeling with gloves on yet. That is the one reason i love the power handle. I can keep my nice Army issued cold weather gloves on, that i can not feel a thing in my finger tips, and still reel in the fish. The bigger knob or paddle (depends on what type u buy) can go right to my palm, i can grab around it and start reeling.
    The gear ratio stays the same, but it will slow you down somewhat. your hand has to make a longer trip around the reel to do the same amount of work (line reeled in) it does make it easier to crank on a fish, but that is what the rod is designed to do (fight the fish)
    the other big plus i like is that catfishermen use big weights and big baits occasionally and some of us exclusivly. This little bit of extra power can make a big difference at the end of the day when those 4-8oz weights and 8-12" shad are starting to wear your arm out.