Power handle on a baitcaster

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by Dallison, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Are these preferred over the standard? Any opinions, I just use the standard. I ordered a reel with a power handle but it wasn't in stock so I just had them send me one of the same model with the standard handle. I could always buy one later if it would make that much of a difference.

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I think it's just more of a personal preference. I personally prefer one big handle to two smaller ones for fighting bigger fish.

Did you get an Abu or something?

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I definitely prefer the single "power" handle on my catfish reels.

4. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Power handles are King!!

The smaller stock handles that come on some of the smaller reels are most suitable for plugging and other applications where one is working lures or needs to "reel with speed"

5. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yes the Abu garcia CS Rocket, I wanted the Green Rocket which is the same thing only green with a power handle..

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just preference. If your gonna play the fish, the standard handles are the best bet. If you have heavy line and are gonna horse the fish in no matter what, then the power handles. You have to fit your equipment to the type of fisherman you are. If you can stand to have a big fish on the line for a decent period of time, go with the standard handles.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I prefer the double paddle handles myself. I can crank them faster since I developed a salt water style fishing growing up. Just cant lose it.