POWER HANDLE FOR 6500?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by lookin_4_moby, Sep 25, 2009.

1. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I was just curious to what the advantage was to putting on the power handle for the abu's or is there even an advantage to them? what exactly does it do to better the reel?

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    more to grab less in the way.

3. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    good post I was wondering the same thing. i gotta abu 6500 cs pro rocket and was wondering what the point of that thing was!

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Great timing! I am wondering also, I just bought 2 at CBela's tonight. Have not installed them yet but the knob is only barely farther away from center than the original handle.

My 7000ic3's sure seem to have a lot of torque though and they come with that handle. Hope to catch a nice fish Monday or Tuesday and check it out first hand.

5. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I have them on two 6000 series reels and feel there are pros and cons.
    I like the larger knob and not having the opposing knob in the way.
    I dislike that on a retrieve with no fish, it makes the reel feel a bit awkward as far as balance. I'd guess that is due to the overall longer length of the handle.

6. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    The power handle gives you more leverage to fight with. It's almost as if you are changing the gear ratio. It would be similar to putting bigger tires on your vehicle, with stock gears. Slow to get going, buy needs less rpms to keep the speed up.:big_smile:

7. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I dont get it either, what do you need power for, lol. Someone please explain this.

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I've had several nice fish hooked on a 6500/6600 in strong current on the Mississippi River and it can be a struggle. The 7000's with the power handle give you way more power/leverage....something. So I am hoping the handle does magic on the 6500/6600's.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  9. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    oh, I've been wondering because I have a friend with 2 6500 pro rockets and he keeps tellin me that I need to get em but the reel works just fine for me the way it is now, I always thought if it ain't broke don't fix it

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sorry i dont think you are gonna get any magic with the different handle. all your gonna get is more to hold on to and the other handle out of the way when your trying to burn in line to keep up with a charging fish. you may be able to apply a little more force having more handle to hold on to but the internals of the reel that is doing the work still remain the same. kind of like changing changing your air filter.

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    LOL, Don't think anyone was expecti g a gear ratio change or beefier internals to the reel.

Got to use them today and it seemed a lot easier on the retrieve pulling in a 16oz sinker in the heavy current. Most likely was just because of the big knob to get a good grip on.

12. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    It is easier. It's just a matter of better leverage. Similar to putting a pipe extension on a pipe wrench to loosen a tight fitting. The wrench isn't any different, yet it's easier to win the battle. The same theory applies.

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'd never thought too much , one way or the other, about the different handles,,

I obtained one somehow,, on a reel or trade or something, and started fishing with the Power Handle,,.

Now, I seem to pick up the Power Handled reel a lot more often than the standard one..

Plus, I kinda like the way they look...

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't know about more leverage. The power handle is only about an 1/8 inch longer from the pivot-point than the original handle. I think it's mostly a matter of getting a good grab on the power handle instead of a few fingers on the original knob.

Regardless, I found it much more pleasing to use.

15. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I have power handles on all my 6500's places I bank fish in lakes I need to get the fish out of the trees or around grass ect.. in the water an they just seem to let me reel in a lot faster plus if I am fishing on the bottom that is really snaggy then I hold the rod up high an it sure comes off the bottom an I don't get snagged nearly as often with the power handles as I would with the paddle handles.

The way i look at it is remember when people put the knobs on the steering wheels to make sharper turns that is kinda what the power handle does IMO.

16. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    so I should consider getting the power handles is what I'm gathering?

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    More cranking power!

18. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    If it works for you that's great. I don't want to poo on your parade, but the power handles actually slow down the retrieve.:big_smile: That's why you get more leverage. It's a trade off. More leverage = less rpms.

The handle being longer creates a greater turning radius. As hinted at before, the gearing and internals obviously are no different, and you can still retrieve line at the same speed as before...it's just that you now have to crank faster to do so.:wink: Gotta make up that ground that you lose from the smaller handle.

19. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    LMAO!!!! The handle is at most 1/8" longer, not much extra mileage required to turn one revolution. :smile2:

20. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I can't speak for yours, as they may be something special, but my standard handles are 3 1/2" long(on center), and my power handles are another 1/2" more. That's about a 15% increase.

The extra increase may seem small in numbers alone, but not when factored against the starting point. It is a respectible increase, and will affect the way things work. The math is at issue, not me.