power came back on

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Dec 2, 2006.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    weve been out of power since thursday night and its just now back on
    whooooooohooooooo
    thursday morning i took off work to drive my wife to chesterfield mo.for outpatient surgery and it was just rain comeing down all the way over
    and when we got out of their the rain had started turning to sleet but it was still clear on the hiways however thursday evening when the bottom fell out of the temperature all the rain started freezeing on the trees and our area had a heck of a mess of broken tree branches , one of which
    pulled the weatherhead down and ripped the hot wires out of our meter base. several more fell around our yard and luckily all missed the house
    a few neighbors weren't so lucky and a few have limbs through theirs roofs.after seeing the damage to our electric service and knew the power
    would be off for a while i took the opprotunity to upgrade although it was pretty cold i knew this was the chance i needed and i didnt even have to call for them to turn it off or have an inspection or permit.
    i have been contemplateing putting a new updated service on the house as ours was a old 60 amp meterbase and an inadequate little 8 space breaker box that didnt even have a main disconnect !!!!
    i pulled out the old service bought a 200 amp base and 2" pipe for weatherhead clamps wire and some lag bolts.
    i had an old 100 amp panel that ive had in my collection of stored items
    that i knew one day i was sure i would be able to use:cool2:
    didnt think it would take 17 years though:lol:
    any how it fit in the space between the studs perfectly all i had to do was cut the plaster board 10 inches taller and the cover will fit perfectly !

we were inconveinianced for a couple days but we at least had gas and water so we didnt freeze but we were still going around flipping on light5 switches that didnt work:tounge_out:
    im glad to be back on line hope everyone else has power tonite.
    aint no fun.i told my youngest when i heard him complain that this is how it was in the old days................he said well i dont live in the old days
    hahahahaha he dont like old days talk:lol:

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Well Darryl happy to hear you have your power on again. A person doesn't realize how much they use that sort of stuff until you don't have it for awhile. I had been watching the news and it looked like a war zone over in that area. We were lucky ,had a lot of sleet ,11"of snow but no power outage. Flickered a couple times but never did go off. Looks like you all have a lot of firewood on the ground. Thanks for letting us know your ok.

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Wow, quite an experience but glad to hear you got power back and got your service all updated.

A few years back Hot Springs was without power for 5 days from a ice storm but so happen we were gone to TX. My father in law was without power for 12 days during that same time. The weather people called it a "once in a hundred years ice storm".

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well Darrel it sounds like you made the verry best of an otherwise crapp situation glad to hear you made out all right here in N.M.we had a blizzard and terrible frigid temps but only about 4 inches of snow which made large drifts our water froze but we got it thawed quickly i think winter is here

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Darrell: Glad you are all ok and that you didn't sustain the same damage as your neighbors.I'm terribly sorry that they and you expeirenced such a storm with wicked side effects.---------Pat:smile2:

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Darrell you be a good man. Sounds like you made the best of it. Glad you and family are all right over that experience. Hope all Has a Merry Christmas.
    thanks for telling us the story.
    -------------------------------------------------

(power is nice, too much is a waste) :wink:

7. SassyManxLady

SassyManxLady New Member

State:
    MO
    Darryl,
    Glad to hear y'all are okay! Tahnk you for lettingus know that y'all are okay. Did your wife come through her out patient suregery okay?
    I live east of Springfiled about 20 miles and we got hit with all that rain, then sleet and snow too.
    Electricty was dang hard to come by here as well. I lost electric Thursday evening but was able to stay warm as I have a wood stove and was even able to cook some supper on the wood stove as well. Nothing taste better to me than a pot of ham and beans cooked on a wood stove. Use a dutch oven to even make myself some cornbread. used oil lamps to be able to see. Only problem being, my singing is terrible and even I couldn't stand to hear myself. My Bad Baby kittens got so bored that theyjust went to bed, in my chair. So I gave up and went to bed too. Got electricity back today and I must confess that I surely did miss being able to be online.

Take care,
    Sassy

8. SassyManxLady

SassyManxLady New Member

State:
    MO
    Apparently I can't spell very well either.
    Huked on Fonix realy werked fer me---Kan't u tale?

Sassy

9. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    WTG Sassy. Uzzed dat program two. Hit reely makes fer good langwidge usage don't hit? Jest wist I'd kumpleted da hole program.