Power Builts or Sabots?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 19, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What are people finding that shoots the best in their type of muzzy. I have read and heard all the advertising but would like to hear from muzzy hunters like me and will tell it just like it is. Thanks in advance. I have had trouble with the power builts could it be they arent sealing? Or is the diameter of my rifle a hair off?

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    For some reason I buy what ever is on clearance at the end of muzzy season for next season. I think Ive been using xtp 245 grains. I think they are bottom of the barrel as far as price but they work for me in my gun. My muzzy is a cva hunterbolt magnum but I only use 125 grains of powder. When I used the full 150 the shots were all over the place, moving to 125 made a lot of difference.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I switched to Barnes Expander -MZ Sabots in 250 Grain. The areas that I hunt I don't get long shots so I use 2 pellets of triple 7 ( of course :smile2: )50/50 pellets for a total of 100 grains. The gun I'm using now is the traditions break open 50 cal. This is an accurate combination in this gun.
    The gun I used before but is now retired is the old Renagade Thompson and Center. It was pretty accurate using 90 grains of FFg black powder combined with remington 303 grain sabots.
    If I were going to be taking longer shots I would still use the Barnes bullets but I would have to play with the powder charge and see what was best from 100 to 150 grain charge.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've got the TC Omega and started with the Power Belt bullets when I first got it. I then tried the TC Shockwave bullets and sabots, and haven't used anything since. Great accuracy in my gun, and hit VERY HARD!

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thompson recommends 250 grain sabots,(theirs of course) and 100 grains of loose Pyrodex for my Encore. It shoots very well with that combination. I hunt the woods and am as lazy as dirt so I shoot powerbelts 250 grain because they load about 1000 times easier and two pellets of 50 grain Pyroddex. On the range, I don't really see much difference at 100 yards. Heck all my deer killing is in the woods from a tree stand where you can almost knock them in the head with a stick.

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Oh, we did this last season, an the power belts won. I use an Omega with the 250gr Shockwave over 100grs. of Pyrodex. It shoots better than any slug gun I ever shot. When I'm out of Shockwaves, gonna try the power belts. I figure when I take her out soon, she's still gonna put em right where she did last year. I think the guns they are making today shoot better than I do, LOL, with any acceptable load/bullet combination. I'm hoping to get a low power scope on her this year to help with the aging eyesight.

7. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Before you blame yourself , the rifle , or the loads, check out scope!! This ruined a chance of my wife harvesting a buffalo last year. The scope had internal problems which werent that easy to determine. After thinking awhile I decide to take rifle out to range to see what was going on because my wife is a excellent shot. 6 rounds and holes everywhere on target!! I sandbagged the rifle and looked at scope on target and give it a sharp rap!!! The sight had moved 2 inches to left!! and 1 inch down!! So check the scope!!! No matter how much you spent!!:embarassed:

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am at a difficult age eyesight wise. I am 53 and use reading glasses. When I shoot a rifle with iron sights, I can see my target great without glasses but the sights are blurry. I put on my reading glasses and I can see the sights great but downrange target is blurry. I shoot a scope and everything is fine with or without glasses. What's a man to do? Shoot a scope I guess. I always liked a scattergun best of all. I shoot deer but given my duthers, I would rather bang away at flying birds. I seem to hit them now and again even though my eyesight isn't what it once was.:wink:

9. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had same problem but cured it with a 2x power works for me!! But I must of looked thru 50 scopes at store before I laid down the cash!!

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have leupolds on all my rifles including the muzzloader. I would recomend leupold or burris scopes, both have excellent quality and reliability in the field. I would be lost without them on my rifles. I use the scatter gun for early season tree rats but when the leaves start thinning I switch to a scoped 22 magnum.

11. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have shot the powerbelts before and chose sabots instead. The reason being is you have to load these things in a dirty or fouled barrel.The reason you have to load in a dirty barrel is because they can slide down your barrel, if pointed down in a safe carry position.I found this out after sighting in my rifle. I sighted it in, then cleaned it to see how it would shoot as if I loaded it to go hunting, which you're going to be hunting with a relatively clean barrel. After loading it I walked from the front porch of the camp to the range with the muzzle pointed down in a safe direction and set up the bench to shoot,I fired the gun off of a bench to a target 100 yrds away and the bulllet hit the dirt 25 yrds in front of the target. The bullet slid forward before firing.After that I said thanks but no thanks. I found the most consistant bullets and groups in my rifle and other buddies rifles were from Barnes Expander mz & T.C. shockwaves both 250gr. being pushed by two 777 50gr pellets. When most bullets would not perform these two grouped the best in most brands of rifles that I have shot ,my own rifle and other's rifles. I shoot a Knight Disc rifle which is a pain to clean and others shoot thompson encore, traditions etc. But by far the Barnes Exspander and T.C. shockwaves were the best. Have shot many 250# plus hogs and many deer with Barnes Expander with excellent results. When all else fails buy a different brand of bullet after the season and try them out until you find the right bullet for your muzzle loader.

12. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have experminted with both SABOTS and Power builts with different loads. With Sabots and 100 and 150 loads I could not hit the same spot twice in a row if my life depended on it at any distance. I swapped over to Power builts and using 100 gr loads I can get 3 shot group inside a 2 inch circle at 150 yards. Now with 150 loads they are about double the shot group. So I would say that ever rifle shoots differntly and try like I did and experiment with differnt loads and bullets.

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Someone on here got me to try Power Belts last year and they made a world of difference in my Ruger. They are much easier to load after a few shots have fouled the barrel and they are super acurate in my gun. I shot four deer with them last year and I can't see me shooting anything else.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have a tc and i load with 90 grains pyrodex with 240 grain buffalo bullets.accuracy is good enough for 100 yard shots and where i hunt i cant see a deer over 75 yds.

15. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    In my knight i only shoot sabots, I shot them forever. I shoot 150 grains and i grouped three shots at 100 yards right out of the box sighting in my muzzle loader.

16. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Just depends on the gun, some like sabots and some shoot power belts better. My .45 cal. CVA loves power belts, but my son's TC Scout .50 cal. and my son in laws rifle, a H & R single shot .50 cal shoot saboted bullets better. Try'em both and see what load and bullet your gun digests best. Just like with modern rifles there ain't no magic bullet or load that is best for every gun, every gun is different.

17. drumkiller

drumkiller New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the power belts, the seem more consistent out of my Knight 50 cal. Also, never had the problem with them falling out because right before the season, i stop at the range and fire a few more sighters, run a brush through once and call it good. Not advisable with anything other then a stainless barrel though :)
    Jim

18. kstrucker

kstrucker New Member

State:
    kansas
    here in ks mz season is early. shot a 90 lbs doe today with tc shockwave 110 gr pyrodex at 25 yards. shot had very little expansion. but deer was down in 30 yards.

19. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I have a CVA inline and have tried alot of diffrent types of bullets and for knockdown power and accuracy, the power belts work great.