Power belt bullets

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by mulemann, Dec 26, 2009.

1. mulemann

mulemann New Member

State:
    MISSOURI JEFFERSON CITY
    I recently removed the green plastic skirt from a 245 grn power belt bullet and dropped it down the barrel of my Omega. It slid all the way to the breechplug , turned it muzzle down and it fell back out. This little experement tells me that the bullet itself is never in contact with the rifleing, just the plastic skirt is. I had "hard to load problems" with sabots untill I found the Harvester crush rib sabots. Using 300 grn hornady pistol bullets and two 50 grain pyrodex pellets I am getting 2 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards

Harvestor Crush Rib Sabots - Per 50 : Cabela's

2. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I'll need to check those out.

3. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I use the black crushed rib with a 300gr Remington in my Savage 50 cal 10ML-ll. I get mine at Cabelas too. But in mine I can use rifle powder and I do not need to clean it right after shooting it. That is why I bought the Savage.

4. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I wonder if there is a bullet that I can mold that will work with these sabots? I am assuming I need a .45 cal bullet.

thanks for the link!

5. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I have used Honaday 300 grain SST's from the start in my T/C Encore. I clean after every shot followed by a lube patch even in the field. Loading is tight but allot easier after running the lube patch. I've loaded twice (I think) with out cleaning. Talk about a bearcat...seating the bullet and sabot in a dirty barrel is tough!

Try cleaning the barrel after every shot and I do believe that you will see your group size shrink.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I love the Powerbelts. I got another deer at 200 yards with one yesterday. That makes at least 6 deer at between 200 and 260 yards since Paraguayguy (Kenneth) schooled me on them. I've taken about 15 shots with my muzzle loader so far this season, without cleaning, and they still load easily and hit right where I aim. I can't see ever changing bullets.

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    When you run out of Pyrodex and pair those Powerbelts with Blackhorn 209 you will think you died and went to heaven. Just be sure and get hot primers for the Blackhorn. Federal 209 works fine.

8. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    My guns only shoot the #11 primers, but I'm looking into getting a conversion for the Ruger that will shoot 209 primers. However, I don't think I'll live long enough to finish off my Pydrodex. I have a big powder horn full, a brass flask full, 10 quick loaders full, and two more full bottles of it. I also have a pound can of Black Powder and a powder horn full of Black Powder I use in the Hawken. Jeremiah Johnson didn't shoot up that much powder!! :wink::smile2:

9. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    What did you learn about powerbelts? Inquiring minds want to know.:big_smile:

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I had been shooting sabots for several years. They did alright, but were hard to load after a few shots. I was scared to switch because I had my gun sighted at 175 yards and was hitting pretty good. Kenneth said the Powerbelts would hit the same place. He was right. I sight in across one of the same fields I hunt in, with 100 grains of Pyrodex. The field is 175-200 yards wide and about 275 yards long. After sighting in, which didn't require moving the cross hairs at all, one of the first shots I took was at an 8 pointer at the far end of the field. By aiming a little high, I hit him right behind the shoulder at about 250-260 yards. He ran about 25 yards straight toward me and piled up. That was 2 hours after dropping a big doe in her tracks at 150 yards. Even after several shots, Powerbelts still go down the barrel easily and shoot real well with a dirty barrel. They also leave a real good exit wound. Cleanup is also easy. I haven't seen as much plastic residue as I did with sabots. Aside from the price, I think they are the best muzzle loader bullets I have used in 35 years. (I just bought 4 packs, 16 rounds each, for $9.45 a pack, for next year, and the next year........)

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They even fly good. Theroy behind the powerbelts is the plastic cup seals the bore, the push on the bullet forces it to expand slightly engaging the rifleing. I have recoverd my spent powerbelts a few times and they got slight rifleing marks in em. The are slightly undersized and copper plated to make loading a lil easy on ya. A firm push down seats em fine over the pellets I use. and yes they slide down the barrle in my smoke pole about 8 inchs then get stiff even with a clean bore. If you dont like the green cup cheapies try the platnum power belts with the expanding base they shoot awsome but the price kills me. I do love the option of a fast reload second shot got 2 deer to gether in 2 min one time cause of it. Also a fast reload can help put a wounded deer down fast. I still recomend the aro tip 245 grain it flys true and is awsome in the way it crunches bone and putts a nice hole in and out.

12. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have to try those Aero Tips in 245. I have been shooting the blunt nose 245 hollow points. No complaints on the hollow points. I love them but I want to see what the new Aero tips will do based on all the praise. Thanks Troy for steering me to try them.

13. redneck_oh_44833

redneck_oh_44833 New Member

State:
    Galion Ohio
    I have A question for some of you with more muzzeloading experience.
    I just purchased a 50 cal. cva optima magnum I'm shooting 245 gr. powerbelt aerotips, 100 grain triple 7 pellets and 209 primers. I an having a lot of trouble getting the round to seat properly I have to literally use a hammer to get the last 2 inches. I clean the barrel after each shot (even though I was told you didn't have to with powerbelt) and still can't get it to seat properly.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

14. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Is it a new gun? Sounds like you have a buildup in the barrel. Clean it good, remove the breech plug and shine a light down the barrel. See if you can see any plastic lead or copper buildup. Mine tend to get tight in the first few inches behind the muzzle, not the last few inches.

15. redneck_oh_44833

redneck_oh_44833 New Member

State:
    Galion Ohio
    thank willie

It is a new gun and I have had the problem since the first shot I loaded. I have removed the breach and cleaned the bore. I do not see any buildup in the bore. The next round I load I will try putting a little bore butter on the round first and see if that helps

Matt

16. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Willie's right, first few inch's of the bore is usually the tightest. If you are actualy using a hammer theres a major problem. Besides damaging the rifle you are probably ruining your accuracy.

17. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I would move to a smaller sabot instead of beating the crap out of yor hand and gun!:crazy: