Power bait Doughballs - Anybody use them?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Ravensmavsfan, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Does anbody use power bait doughballs for channels ,or any brand of dough balls. I tried the powerbait "blood" doughballs and caught 2 lb, 4 lb and 9 lb Channels. They stayed on the hook very well too. My chicken liver only caught a 3lb channel that trip.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Are you talking about the Berkley dough balls for catfishing? See them in Wally World, but haven't bought any. I've tried Shelby's Catfish Candy. If you work it in your hand a bit, it'll stay on a circle hook better than any commercial bait I've used, almost can't get it off in the water, but it hasn't been to productive.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I tried them once, was in a jam, had no baot, so I went to Wallyworld & bought some liver flavor Power Bait Dough Ball & shrimp. Got skunked.

4. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I'm talikng about the liver and blood doughballs made by powerbait for channel catfishing.

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Yes, I tried the liver and fish flavored baits. I caught a few channel cats on both, but no more than a good dip/punch bait. They are very handy to carry and easy to fish. I wouldn't expect to catch many large cats, though.

6. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    I've caught some on the liver flavored power bait... "Mainly used this bait in a pond though"

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    on the old site noone really ever caught anything on them...

I think they work best in lakes/ponds with farm raised Channels... just like the powerbait for trout with hatchery trout...

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    only thing i ever caught on them dough balls is a carp and i dont like fishing for them things dont like catching em lol most of the times i have tried em got skunked. ill stick to my chicken liver clams and a few other baits i use.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive tried them and out of the whole bag i caught one fish.It was a nice channel though it was 8 pounds and 22 inches long.But i wasnt impressed with them,and when it gets hot they melt really fast,then its like trying to put a turd on your hook.

10. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I tried them a few times with no luck. After the third or fourth time without a bite, I gave up on them.

11. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've tried the power balls before and it worked pretty good.....then I put some Danny Knig's punch bait on a pole right next to the power balls, and caught fish on it 10 to 1 over the power balls.

12. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    I've tried both the liver and blood several times but i only managed to get a few hits off them and no hook ups

13. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    :frk-big: :frk-big: I won't even ask how you know this!!:)

14. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Tried them on one trip this summer and did'nt even get a nibble.Forgot about them for about two weeks until I discovered them in the bottom of the pail.Seems the flies had at them,and they were covered with maggots.Said"what the he__ and put one on.They worked pretty good that trip.Caught six friers with them.I think the chumming effect with the maggots had something to do with it. :) Still plan to stick with punch bait.Do'nt have to fly cure that at all.Cut bait is first choice but I always try to put punch bait on one other line.
    BILL

15. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    I've used them and they work well on bullheads.But havn't caught any other type of catfish on them .I like the liver flavor.

16. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    does the liver taste good? i don't think i'd be interested.. i don't like liver.. i used sonny's all year.. just had me some fish from what i had caught on sonny's.. now thats some good eatin.. liver yuck and besides i thought it was sposed to be fish bait?

17. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    It is supposed to be fish bait. I like the liver flavor for fishing with. It works better in some waters than it does others.

18. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    been puttin turds on your hooks have ya. gotta try that one kind of like stink bait huh :glare:

19. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    MY boy whos 10 has a 9 ft flyrod with a openface and he uses them with good sucess, catches 4 to 7 lbrs they have quick responces and easy to put on ..he likes them