Powder coating a jon boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by beakus, Mar 9, 2007.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i was looking at my jon last night and was wondering if anybody has ever powder coated one?i know from my race car chassies that the stuff is durable and will last forever.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Car chassis usually don't flex and bend... I don't know if powder coating would stay on a jon boat... then there is the aluminum thing too. Plus the expense would be so much you could probably pick up a pretty decent boat/motor for the same price.

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Oh but I beg to differ Lawrence,LOL. Race car chassis flex, twist, load, unload, and do all kinds of cool stuff. Being an ex modified midget and sprint owner, Ive seen them wadded up in a ball with broken welds and twisted tubing , and usually the only place the paint fakes is right at the point of severe damage( like a tube bent 90 degrees or at a weld break ). Powder coating is a viable alternative for a boat. The boat will have to be bead blasted before coating. Back when we were building cars (bout 6yrs. ago) it was only costing us about $300.00 to get a tube chassis done. Thats alot of nooks, crannies, and tubing to blast and coat. A boat would be an easy job to cover, and the price should reflect it. If you consider you are going to have about $100.00 in materials for a good do it yourself paint job, and your time is worth money, or time lost doing something else, and the paint wont last that long. Powder coating in somes eyes, is cheaper. It will definately last longer, and look better. Hope this helps.

4. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i just picked up my brothers boat yesterday he had rhino lining put in the inside it looks great plus very useful no more sliding around while throwing the cast net while powder coating is a very nice look it can be very expensive and if you plan on doing the inside of the boat it will probally be slicker than snot in there after a few mins. but if you do it i would really like to see pics of it when it is done

5. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    if u powder coated the outside, no doubt the speed would increase, weight no real factor ,tough too . dont think it would last more than 15/20 years. combine that with rino on the inside. well squeze me tight ,ill just will it to my grandkids . intresting . pc would work good in salt. so would rinoliner.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Why I didn't know that.... just you can get it done and let us know cost and performance...and durability.

7. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    thanks wabash,i'm from the same neck of the woods,franklin,greenwood area and i had the same thoughts.i have sand blasted many a chassie with powder coat and it is 10 times what paint is.there is a guy in edenbourg that did a 55 ford chassie for us and all of master built's stuff,i think it cost us about 300.00. and al powder coats great also,had many body pannles for the race cars done.

8. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    as for the rihno linning i'm not to jazzed about it,the jon i have has had it done but the stuff adds alot of weight fast,and mine is slick when its wet(not good in a boat i think).i used garage flore paint with a little silica sand in it,gives it a little bit and sheds off water on the deck and seat area and a whole lot cheaper

9. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Cool, I'm originally from Martinsville, been around your area lots. Sounds like you are on the right track. If you get her done let us know how it turned out, about what it costed you to get it coated, and post some pics. Good luck.:cool2:

10. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hi----how about an update, I need to do something to our Al.boat at the end of Summer.