Pouring Sinkers: Large sinker temps...

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by KYTRAPPER, Jun 14, 2007.

1. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I have a Lee production pot. Settings Low 1-9 High. It seems like a setting of 6 or so is plenty enough to make sinkers from an ounce down. When pouring larger sinkers 2-3 oz it clearly isnt enough. The particular mold Im talking about is a do-it egg 9 cavity 1/8-3oz. In my other large molds such as a 2-5oz bank sinker mold a setting of about 7 is enough to pour nice sinkers. What temp or setting makes a nice egg sinker for you? Im sure the problem is the lead isnt hot enough but just how hot should it be? I think out of the 4 molds I have this is the only one that takes that much heat to pour right:confused2: Am I off base or what? By the way this is after the mold is heated up good too.

2. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I can pour .357s, 7.62s and small sinkers with the setting at 4 thru 6 without any problems. The heavier the sinker the more heat I need. Let sinkers sit in mold after removing wire a bit longer to keep it warmer. Try that.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I also have a Lee Pot with the same controls. I turn it all the way up until lead has melted. I then turn it down to about 700 and watch the outcome of the sinkers. I pour the first two or three times, to get my mold hot, without any insert. Depending on the type of lead you may have to adjust the furnace up or down. I do all my pre melting, and extract impurties, from an open flame and pot.:lol::big_smile:

4. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Ill try and up the juice on the big sinkers. I pour most everything at around 700 or a bit less myself. Maybe its the tire weight lead?? Its been remelted and poured into ingots but I have heard it can lead to slightly misshappen sinkers itself?:roll_eyes:

5. mwallace61

mwallace61 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Alabama
    I'm not currently pouring weights, but back when I made jig heads and such, I stopped using the tire weights. I was also loadin' some shotgun shells and had a bag or two of shot that a guy gave me. I used it to pour some heads and found it to be much cleaner and quicker to heat and melt. Not sure what that stuff costs anymore, but it might be a better option.

Mike

6. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Thanks, I noticed last year when I had some very soft plumbing lead it turned out much nicer sinkers than the weights.

7. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I have the same pot and mold and I pour my small sinkers first to heat the mold up and then finish up on the larger sinkers and I set my pot on 7 and leave it.

8. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I have a Lee producttion pot too. The lead is hot enough for small sinkers but not for BIG sinkers. I have a pot i put over my fish cooker burner for the big ones. Tire weights are made from hard lead and take more heat to pour good. Pure lead work easyer to me.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Lead shotgun pellets have an additive to make them harder, while they will work, pure lead is your best bet.

10. mospurs

mospurs New Member

State:
    missouri
    Have had similar problem.Lee told me that large weights need to be ladel poured .If you have wrinkles or incompletes the lead is cooling rather than flowing.Hope this helps sir.