Pouring Lead

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by pythonjohn, Feb 20, 2007.

1. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    When you make your leads what type pot do you use to melt the lead and what kind of ladel for pouring the lead do you use?
    What the easiest and most simple way to do it?

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    my sinker making equiptment includes a hotplate, iron skillet, ladel, pliers, spoon, file, gloves all from wallmart.... and molds not from wallmart

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can use either cast iron or stainless. I use cast that I bought at yard sales. Course I am still learning how to do it myself.:tounge_out:

4. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    In the BOC library Whistler posts a lot of how to things about lead and sinker making. One was using metal spoons as molds for flat sinkers heaver the weight bigger the spoon.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i believe vern uses a half gallon cast iron pot and a cast iron spoon on an electric stove out back of his shed he says its best to leave a 1" of lead in the pot at all times for melting quicker .

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    John,

I have used a Lee furnace for about 35 years or so to melt lead bars for sinkers and bullets. Here is a picture of my setup.

Many years ago I got several buckets of old wheel weights and melted them with and old propane stove and one of my wifes old pans. I had several hundred pounds of 1 pound bars. I gave away over 200 pounds at the last BOC Gathering for I don't use as much any more.

It's best not to breath the fumes when melting lead.. just have plenty fresh air. Also be careful not get a drop of water in the melted lead... it will explode! I never did but I was exposed for I dropped bullets direct from the hot mold into cold water to temper them.

Good luck with your lead melting.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Same set up I've got Olefin. I've been using mine for years also and wouldn't part with it. For the guys looking for a good, dependable and safe way to poor weights, that lee pot is the way to go, and surprisingly affordable if you shop around. You might check ebay for some good deals.

Olefin is right though, DO NOT LET ANY DROPS OF WATER HIT THE MELTED LEAD!!!!!!!! Another tip is not to let any molten lead hit cemtent either. There's moisture trapped in the concrete and when superheated quickly like with a lead spill, then you've got an explosion with hot lead and concrete particles flying everywhere!!!!! No, nobody told me about this one:angry: Learned it along time ago surprisingly without scars.

Also leave the pot with a little lead in the bottom so the next time it won't take so long to melt. I also leave a little in the bottom when I reload the pot and don't run it completely dry. Weather warmed up, or cold, an empty pot takes forever to melt lead.

8. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I use a Coleman Stove and one on the Wife's old aluminum Teflon-coated pans with a spout bent into one side. I put the pan in the vise and squeezed it until I got the spout I wanted.

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    well over the year I have done tons of lead into many many sinkers, and the lee pot has been great now on my 3rd one.

10. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I am not a complete stranger to molding.
    I use to mold my own real bullets for my 54 cal. muzzel loader which I really liked.
    I have aquired a few dug civil war bullets and the comparsion is astounding.
    Dayton thanks for the picture.
    I used a propane stove with a cast iron pot and a cast iron ladle. I just recently bought a Do it Right egg sinker mold to make leads with.
    Haven't used it yet but i will soon.
    Hurricane Ivan releived me of all those things and a lot more including my home. Stuff can be replaced.
    Thanks all for the input, look foward to hearing more on Porin lead.

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I would strongly recomend you switch to a cast iron pot. An aluminum pot or pan will eventually fail you and you will have a mess, especially if you are on a concrete floor as mentioned above. Been there and done that on both counts and was lucky to dodge any injury.

The lee pots are probably the best way to go but I have never used them. For years now I have used a cast iron dutch oven, cast iron ladle and do-it molds. When pouring sinkers that require the pins I will dip them in a tube of grease every other pour and they slide out easily. Also seen mentioned using the wax ring for toilet bowls to insert the pin into, Ive not tried that idea but it should work well.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya, me too. got me lee pot 2 years ago. now i sell sinkers to all my friends. far below the bait shop cost. ive traded them for reels and such. so far my best deal was 250 sinkers that didn't cost me more than a few $ for the gas and such i use to clean the wheel weights, i traded for a foodsaver vacuum sealer i use on my fish.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38858

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38859

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38861

here is just a few links from the lib.

13. kdm75

kdm75 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Well my set up is cheap it constist of a $5 electric virable temp portable hot plate( big lots), and a metal coffee can cut into just slightly less than half way. 2 home made ladles, and a fan to blow fumes away. It's not much, and it an't pretty but it works great for me. Getting ready to order a kit from do it that has a 5lb cast iron pot and ladle so i can through the coffee can away.:embarassed:

14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm using refridgerators, and old stoves for weight. i dont pour lead anymore. even then, i'm having trouble holding my bait down.!:cool2:

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i see your back long time no see. still catching them fish over there???

16. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    so you must be like me and catch records to use for catching more records huh? LMAO

i use a cast iron pot, kindda small but it works, and a cast iron ladle on a stove for a deep fryer. used to before the day that i had a mold, i used a spoon and a blow torch with a small pile of lead on the spoon. to the size i wanted and used a drill and a file to get a nice smooth hole in the top.

17. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    double post, delete

18. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ya' Jeremy. I'm back. :cool2: I have'nt been fishing yet, i"m still resting after hunting season. lol. I was hopin i would run into you sooner or later. I'll be traveling a lot this year. I got a steal on a nice boat. and, I'm gonna wear it out! can you still get to the warm water at the plant? I've been wanting to try it there. lemme know... check out the pic's below. i have new seats for it, i just didnt want to put them on yet. (I only paid $800.00 for it)
    :lol:

Attached Files:

19. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    1 more pic. and Yes, those are catfish on the side of it. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    man you did one he## of a job fixing that thig up. first couple pics looked like ya had a lot to do. last one looked like it came from the show room. very nice.

and ya, the discharge opens up on april 1st. last year a caught 36 in 3-4hrs. man it was one after another. doing a lil fixing on mine too. put on a new winch yesterday and ive put swivel seats like yours in the CATillac so theres a ton more room since ya went flatting with me.

i boated over 120 cats in thelake last season. as always, great action. had some gills mashed and tore off but still didn't have any flat head luck. maybe i need some coaching. :tounge_out: