Pounds to inches ???

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Little Mac, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I've noticed lately in the sporting books That fish arent refered to in pounds anymore, but rather in inches of length, Whats the deal with this? anyone know? North american fisherman, Infisherman, and others are this way, I didnt know if some standards have changed or why they have gone to this method, I always judged a fish by its wieght, not its length. :confused2: Mac

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I haven't seen that yet but I don't like it. A fish can weigh more than what it looks like in length due to a big gut or being full of eggs. But then again that maybe why they are doing in to judge the fish because after spawn they weigh so much less than normal or than they do when full of eggs.

3. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I agree Kevin, but in those magazines if you look at peoples catches everything is in inches, heck that dont tell me anything :smile2: anyone else got a take on this? Dont be shy step up..........

4. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    This post has been viewed 53 times , that would have equated to 53 view points, I would truly like to know why or what reason for the change to inches . anybody ? I know if you take the length and girth and do some math you can come up with a weight, is this the reason ? It may seem like a stupid question, I have seen that other fish have been done in inches, but not catfish until lately. Im just curious.

5. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    as well. It would seem that if they were going to use inches, then the girth too should be given. I think, and this is just OPINION, that it encourages more catch and release somehow. Less possibility of damage to the fish than weighing. I will always measure my fish by weight, it is more meaningful to me that way.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If I had to guess I would say that TV and magazines present us with a 2D image. Very seldom does a photo of fish look like it's stated weight.
    It's one of those you had to be there things.
    Giving length on the other hand is a 2D affair.
    Add to the fact that regulations are given in inches and not pounds.

Just my guess.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think it has to do with quickly releasing the fish, on the thinking it is quicker to get a length, than to try and left a fish by a scale..In fisherman started it years ago in contest they had..one catagory was for released fish and it was inches...the other catagory was for kept fish and it was in pounds.

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I'm not totally against the method of measuring only because it is easier on the fish and besides I don't have a weight scale that goes beyond 50lbs yet.
    But I would still like to know about how much the fish weighs instead of just what length it is. So with that will someone that knows the formula for figuring weight by measurements please post the formula.

I haven't caught a fish over 50lbs yet but am working on it. But, when I do I don't think I want to hang it by the scales for further damage to the fish for I will be releasing it so by measuring the length and girth and being able to figure the weight by that would be a lot easier on the fish. It may not be perfectly accurate but it will be close enough.

9. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Hey now, Now we are getting somewhere, Good points made by all, I carry a tape measure now Flexible type used in sewing. My personal best blue will always be a question in my mind as to how much it really wieghed as Coach and I only had a 50lb scale and it bottomed it no problem. If we would have had a tape measure and got a lenght and girth then we could have gotten a better estimate. Kevin, I believe somewhere on this site is the formula, later tonight I will try to look it up. It would be better on CPR cats to do this so now it makes perfect sense to me. Thank you. Mac :cool2: