pound for pound

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by on_the_fly, Aug 25, 2008.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    you know I think pound for pound that gills are one of the meanest fish swimming. They will eat or try to eat just about anything no matter the size.and have to be a little smart caz how many of you have sat and feed a gill for 30 mins or more because you cant catch him I know I have because it seems to me they are one of the only fish that have the ability to eat your bait from the back side of the hook.:confused2:
    Them darn little devils but you got to love um because after crappies gills are next in line in my book for the best tasting fish out there in my opinion.:wink:

2. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I got to say pound for pound they are a contender. I've cought some dinner platers that took out drag. Got in to em real good at the seneca river yesterday. About a fish every minute for the first hour. then one every 5 min till I ran our of bait.

Richard

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    the little devels are tasty and your right if thay was any biger you would never land one the little bait theaves

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Absolutely..If they grew to 4 or 5 lbs you would really have to use some tough tackle.A couple weeks ago they were taking all my little minnows and I couldn't hook em..I love catchin em on my lil 5ft pole with a micro reel and 2lb test and I just hold on..Aint nothing like it..Tough lil critters thats for sure..

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would agree that the gills are pretty smart/powerful fish. I love to catch them!

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The bluegill is not only good to eat and fun to catch, its an excellent catfish bait. No waste to a bluegill.:0a27::0a27::0a18:

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I am with Mickey here too. Next to the catfish the bluegill is the most important fish in the water. Fight good,eat good,feed good and fish good.

8. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Its a good thing they don't grow to 30-50 lbs, it wouldn't be safe to swim.

They are indeed scrappy smart fish and worthy of respect.

9. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    yep, gills are super fun on an ultra-light. My biggest is 12.4incher and he pulled out the drag on my 2lb test

10. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I love bluegill. My first fish was a bluegill. Caught him right after I hooked my Daddy in the seat of the pants the first time I used a rod and reel!:smile2::smile2: I love trying to outsmart the little buggers!

11. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    I just went out to my friends little farm in IN.He said he had some nice sized bluegill so I figured he meant like 6in or so.Where I'm from in the suburbs of Chicago,6 inches is a nice bluegill.I couldn't believe it when I was pulling out 10 inchers like nothing.Feisty little guys they were too.Gotta love em!

12. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Half the fun of catfishing is getting the bait! I love to catch bluegills!

Have never eaten one though... might have to try it!

13. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    I've only eaten them a few times in my life.I'm more of a catch and release guy.When my friends and I are out of town camping or whatever we cook up a few.This last weekend we brought back a couple 10 inch bluegill and a 1 1/2 pound bass.I actually thought the bass tasted better but everyone else said bluegill tasted great.Then again,I'm not a fish guy anyway.Closest thing I normally eat to fish is Gorton's fish sticks. :smile2:

14. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    BlueGills have a fine white meat with a touch of sweet flavor to it. They usually scale easy, and its not hard to get nice boneless fillets off them with a bit of practice. Bigger they are the easier to fillet.

I grew up on them just dusted with cornmeal and pan fried with a touch of salt & pepper.

That taste still takes me back to when I was a knee high nuts about fishing kid.

15. Cajun

Cajun New Member

State:
    Kolin, Louisiana
    You guys have the right attude and they are great fighters on a 8 1/2 foot fly rod also....Cajun

16. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I love those Bluegills. Have had some of the best fishing fun in my life using a micro spin with 2# test. I have a spot where the gills are 9 inches plus and very constant on the bite. Have had them bend my pole almost in half. When it comes to eating them they are hard to beat. Believe me, with the spinning gear I use if you hook a 9" or over you think you have hooked Moby Dick. If your talking about a fish with a bad attitude when hooked...it's gotta be a gill!!

Attached Files:

17. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Ok I'll do it. If anyone knows a spot I can hook a 30lb bluegill I will give an unbiased opinion of which Fights harder at that weight a channel cat or a bluegill. I am willing to sacrifice.

18. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I belive I would too! but I would think that the parana is the next of kin in a bigger size of the gill so I think its in the blood line just a hole lot less teeth

19. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Have you got all your affairs in order and your insurance papers signed? As feisty as they are when you catch a small one, a 30 pounder would be a lot of fun!!:big_smile:

20. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats some nice Bluegills and some good eating to.