Pound for pound what fights harder?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Trophy Hunter, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Which species of CATFISH do you think fights the hardest? I have only caught big blues and have never had the chance to fight any other type. Let me know what you think. Thanks. Hey look I made SQUIRE!!!

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I agree with baitfish...definately flathead. Although, blues seem to hit my bait a little harder.

-Red

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Pound for pound I would have to say, the "Bluegill"!!! Imagine being able to catch one that weighs as much as 10lbs!!! What kind of gear would you have to get to accomplish this task???

4. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If we get into other fish my vote would be the American shad. Catching those in the flats above the rapids during their spawning run with a med/light rod, one after another is some of the most enjoyable fishing I do. "Poor man's TARPON".

5. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have never caught a flathead or blue so I got to say channel. Other than that for freshwater, bass are pretty good fighters and so are bream. Any species of catfish reign supreme though!

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    All I can compare is my 28.5 lb blue vs my 24lb flathead. The flathead fought hard all the way. The blue fought the hardest after about half way in. Both were great battles.

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I guess the name gives it away...but, Iam very partial to Flathead. We dont have blues around so I cant really say. I just know that flatties make really good runs when they take a bait...gets the adrenaline pumping after waiting all night for a bite!

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Pound for pound channel, I've caught blues and flatheads up to 50 lbs blues are a good fight, flatheads are better but if everybody could regularly catch 20+ lb channels I think everybody would change their mind.

9. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    if the fish were all eqaul wieght i thaink the channel would have it.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Pound for pound? Channel.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

pound for pound my wife. lol no really, just kidding I have never caught a big flathead so I have to say a blue at 75 lbs was the best fighting catfish I have caught

12. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I would say a flat, but if you ever caught a big blue in a river with a lot of current you might change your mind, they are also mighty fighters.

13. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I say a blue cat. I have never caught a flat.

14. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    My experience has been flathead's! Especially river flathead's!
    It amazes me how they can go to the bottom and you can't hardly budge them! It astonishes me how bad they can make your back hurt!

Blue cats fight differently. They seem to run HARD in the beginning!
    They can rip off a lot of line in a hurry!

My judgment is solely based on the pain in my back. Flathead hands down.

15. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Idk i think pound for pound i'd have to go with a fiesty channel cat... they just seem to put up a better fight then the blues... Now don't get me wrong blues fight hard... but they are more a bulldozer and just do a head down and go rather then the channels who have their speed and are willing to go anywhere, sometimes even jump (rare i know but it happens) to get off the line...

16. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    all i've caught are channels and blues...but out of them two i'd have to say blues

17. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Pound for Pound, as far as catfish go, I would have to say the flathead. He likes to be on the bottom and has the ability to stay there. I like to fight any species of cat myself. Also like JW said if bluegill would weight ten pounds, we would all be on the Brotherhood-of-bluegillfishermen. Vern

18. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    Well, I agree with Dreadnaught, if all things are equal, lb. for lb. it's going to be the bluegill, with the smallmouth bass coming a close second. If you've ever caught a bluegill over a lb., you know what I mean! A bluegill is the only fish I've ever caught that I had break a rod. The fish was about 2 lbs.

I've never caught a big blue, or a flathead, but they are amazingly powerful fish. A 20 lb. channel is no slouch either, I've caught plenty of those and every had one disintergrate a reel one time. I'm looking forward to having the chance to compare them to big blues and flatties!

Peacock bass are amazingly strong for their size too, but a bluegill would still out fight them, I think.

If bluegill grew to 5 lbs regularly, everyone would fish with saltwater tackle all the time.

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I thought you were speaking of any speices.
    Now that we have cleared the mud out of my eyes, let me start over, LOL!!!

I like the freight train hit of a bluecat and theirstrong runs, but they quickly give up and start rolling, and the fight is pretty much over at that point.
    Now the Flathead on the other hand is a true fighter. From the hookset, Big Flatheads(20 +) will try to tear your gear apart in order to get loose. I like the Powerfull runs and the shear brute strength of these beasts. Once you get him to the boat/bank, the FIRST TIME the fight is half over. Once he sees the light he goes nuts and the fight starts all over, LOL!!! I have seen many lines, rods, and hearts broken at that point. Make sure you back your drag off a little when you think he is close to the surface so nothing snaps.
    Now my answer: The Flathead hands down!!!!!!

20. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I agree. Flathead hand down.. Its like trying to pull a tree stump thats pulling back in... As Jw mentioned, once it see the bank/top of water, Then Round 2 starts...