Potty Training Tips?? Any help appreciated!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by teaysvalleyguy, Jul 19, 2006.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    OK, Madison just turned 17 months and wife wants to start potty training her. She has picked up a couple books but there is nothing like experiance. I know many of you fathers and mothers have went through this several times.

What tips/suggestions do you have. I really appreciate the help and thank you in advance. Madison is my first and have my ears wide open.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

praise for the "BIG Girl" when done correctly and buy "big girl" under garments with the promise of wearing them when she is done training. Two tricks my family uses hope they help.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Coming from a foster parent, I have dealt with this quite a bit, lol.

The best that has worked for us is ROUTINE SITTINGS.
    We usually have them sit on the potty at least 4 times a day:

1st thing in the morning.
    right before bedtime.
    one hour after breakfast
    one hour after lunch

Dont let them get up until they went, then have them let you know when they are done. Reward them when they do go. Good Luck, lol

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    My grand daughter is just turning 2 and she just starting to let us know she's needs to potty and of course we praise her! The times she doesnt, we take her into the bathroom to change her and sit her on the trainer chair while we get diapers and such and still tell her what a big girl she is! She catches on quick and really wants to please us! Pretty neat, really!

5. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Heck you gotta potty train them youngins? mines 16 years old and still has diapers... what's arlington say Crraaaappppp... lmao j/k well i dun remember them dayz the wifey was the one in charge back then... errrrrr still in charge

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I have all sort sof tips for boys, but that won't help you much.

7. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    You have to get rid of the diapers and put her in training pants. My daughter would not take the time to go potty as long as she was in diapers but did not like the feel of wet pants. We got a little smarte with my son and just took him to the bathroom evey couple of hours he got tired of us bothering him and just started to go on his own. Be patient every kid has there own timeframe!

8. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Tea, all I can say is......hahahahahahahahahahaaaaa....GOOD LUCK, BUDDY!!! You'll need it! LMAO! Just go fishin' and forget about all of it...wife won't be too happy for awhile, but you will!:wink: I REALLY hope this helps your situation, Matt. lol.

-Red

9. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    You will need:

Pull ups (Training diapers)

Toilet story books

Lots of encouragement for the little one

Lots of patience and a good pair of rubber gloves, LOL. The kind that go up to your elbows:lol:

Been there 3 times in my life, seems like the girls catch on much faster than the boys. Good luck with it!

10. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I really hope so brother, that is for sure!!

11. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have a girl but potty traing was a peice of cake she was potty trained before we even tried to train her she just woke up one day and said potty she went and that was it my boys on the other hand was a different story the doctor said dont worry they will potty train when they are ready dont worry they wont still be wearing a diaper in high school lol

12. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thats the way my daughter was trained and it seems to have worked she is 15 now and still uses the potty:lol:

13. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Yes, mine will be 21 this coming Monday and she hasn't had a problem either! LOL. I remember like it was yesterday the day she was born, even the exact time. 7:44 am July 24th, 1985.

14. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    You got some good advice from those who know. LOL

I got 2 Sons. To me that was much easier than my grand Daughter. My boys followed me around everywhere. I went to bath room, I took em with me. I handled most of that part myself. Caught on quick. By 1 1/2 years old. Done deal. Little slip once an a while till about 2.

Now my Grand Daughter, she is the first girl I had to deal with and I'm learning. LOL. I just dont feel right dealing with her on that part when she is here. I dont even like helping give her a bath. Thats for grandma, Mom and Dad to do when she is here. I do my part on that stuff when I got a . Girls are a little different too me. They need a little more respect. Yelp, to me, little girls are harder on Dads and Granddads. Wait till they get older. LOL.

Tea, you got a good looking Family. You will get through it just fine. Books help, experience is much better. Like arlington said " Patience,brother,,,lots of it".

It will all work out faster than you know it.

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Rub their nose in it, swat them on the rump with a rolled up news paper and....Oh,Oh, you said Madison not Marmaduke. Sorry, my bad! I never had any kids so I wouldn't know. Might still rub their nose in it! Worked for me!!!

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Potty Training Tips? Is Teabag finally trying to get rid of the big diapers? Just keep practicing man, you'll get the hang of it someday. LOL!

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Tea! I sure hope you know more about this than you do about the difference in Peppers and Strawberries.If you don;t,please leave the potty training to Momma.peewee-williams

18. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    My daughter went for the praise thing. Grandson's on the other hand, we took them to the pot and threw in some Cheerios and told them to shoot at them. Worked like a charm.

19. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good Luck, Tea. My first was my hardest he would just rather go down his leg. Them we got him some Spiderman undies and told him not to wet on spidey and it worked. Nothing like good old bribes.

20. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO Jason, thanks alot brother.