potomac river

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by kramdua, Apr 10, 2008.

1. kramdua

kramdua New Member

State:
    va.
    i went out sunday april 6th, miserble day. i went out of potomac creek and fished the mouth a hour with herring cut bait. made my way through rough potomac wind and chop to aquia creek and fished the channel at the mouth. no luck there. does anyone have an catfish update? i really want to find some good holes or flats. i like to take my 13 yr. old son and for him not to be bourd out of his mind. thanks, mark :confused2:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    All I can tell ya is if ya are near the Fort Washington area ya should start learnin that part of the river.:wink:

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to the BOC from Kentucky its great to have you aboard

4. kramdua

kramdua New Member

State:
    va.
    i will look at map and plan to head torwards fort washington mark

5. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    At any feeder creek, find the drop off where the creek enters the main river. Anchor on the edge of the drop off and cast into the deeper water...usually around 20+ feet deep. Use fresh cut bait (I prefer Shad but anything will work). Make sure it's a good sized chunk unless you want to catch eating sized fish. A piece the size of your hand is perfect. A common "Carolina Rig" with at least 3/4 oz of weight and two foot leader. Make sure you gear up, there are fish in there that will rip apart your normal "Bass" rod...I know...I've broken three in the last two years. Try to fish the first of the tide...when it goes from in to out and from out to in. Slack tide is the worst time to fish. Early morning and late evening are prime times. Guaranteed you won't be bored!

One more thing, please release those big fish. There's a fish consumption advisory for anything over 16 inches anyway...so why kill it. In this age of digital pictures, you have instant "proof" of your catch to show off without removing a breeder from the population.

Good luck.

6. ncbelly

ncbelly New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    how does a 7' medium heavy ugly stick sound. i try not to use my bass rods at all when catfishing, but sometimes i can't help myself to cast something out there on it to see what happens! i just saw on another website(can't remember which one), a couple of 60lb blues caught in the Potomac! that's definitely not something you want to hook into with a 6 1/2ft meduim action rod running 10-17lb test.

last year when we were out on the boat, we held a flashlight over the water and all the minnows would come up to it, and we caught them and used them as cut bait. i think they were shad, but i'm not sure. we were using 5/0 hooks, and fishing right by the 301 bridge on the potomac. we caught a few nice size cats. one was probably aroun 20-25 lbs, but most were around 10lbs. we probably should have been using bigger bait. those cats were right there by us, so i know there were some bigger ones around, but i was happy with that big i got anyway. this year i'm shoooting for at least a 40lber.