Potomac River

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by philg427, Aug 21, 2006.

1. philg427

philg427 New Member

State:
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Went out Yesterday, Good tide when I got out there it was ebbing high tide. Was fishing the va side of Ft washington Channel near the Big green can bouy. Bait was wet for 10 minutes then first hit a 25 pounder. I ended up with 6 fish and most of them in the 18-20 lb range with one 10 pounder. I quit about 1:00 pm just as the tide was shifting to incoming tide. All in all a good day. Had some other bites one cut a 5" inch bluegill in half seen his mouth print on the bait would have like to of had him.

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Nice trip. Is that pretty typical to catch that many fish and that size of fish?

3. philg427

philg427 New Member

State:
    Poolesville, Maryland
    it been pretty good here, yes it can be typical but usally u get one bigger fish. last week they had a tournament with a 42lb 36 lb and the winning wieght was about 154 lbs for 5 fish

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    this river holds lots of fish over 20 lbs our last tournament had 45 fish with avg weight of 22.43 lbs per fish. and the first 6 place was over 118 lbs for 5 fish. the top 3 was over 150 lbs for 5 fish 1st place was 158.75 lbs we had 2 fish over 40 lbs and 17 over 30 lbs.check out the acats tournament post for maryland and see the pics some very nice fish.

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I have to get down to the river and do some fishing. It has been a lot of years since the last I fished it. But first, I need to upgrade to a couple of larger rods.

6. Aquakeeper

Aquakeeper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Sounds like a good day on the river to me....congrats on the nice 20lber Philg! Any photos of the beast?

7. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Congrats on some nice fish! I would say that's pretty good for this time of year and during the day at that! Are you fishing the channel edge? I haven't had a chance to get down there, but I finally replaced my VRO pump and my boat is ready to go. I want to try what worked really well at Lake Gaston for me, but not sure how it will do. I was fishing the thermocline on the channel edge in about 25 - 40 ft of water at night. I was using large floats with a good amount of weight to get the bait down and stay there with the current. Most fish were caught on the slip bobber suspended down to 10 - 15ft. My guess is that this works well with the abundence of white perch and gizzard shad that were hanging in those depths. Does this set up sound like it's worth a try? Are there enough schools of bait hanging that high or is the river so oxygen-rich that they usually just hang close to the bottom as well as the bait?

Mike

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Sounds like it'd work to me... but go out and try...

9. philg427

philg427 New Member

State:
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Please chck out my post in blue cats section had bested my best fish three times Yesterday the best was a 43 lb and a 37 lb and two more in the 30 all in all I cuaght 14 fish the smallest being a 16 lb with a couple of small channel cats most were in the 23- 28 lb range, I used a digital scale. the biggest was 44 inches long.

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I was up on the upper Potomac river friday guys if your not running a jet you may look for somewhere to fish as the river is very VERY low and the grass has taken over most of the river, in some part all the river is green looks like a yard not a river. I was in the white ferry, edwards ferry part and most of the river was 2 feet or less in 5 hours of running mostly i was the only boat out there. Here are some pic of the grass

Attached Files:

11. Jim Johndon

Jim Johndon New Member

State:
    VA
    Nice Catching, i wish i had luck like you!or skill!