Potomac River

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by Bob R, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Is anyone having any success fishing in the heat we have had for the past couple of weeks? I've been on vacation and havent been on the river for a couple of weeks. Havent seen many posts from potomac fishermen lately, is there anyone out there?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I am sure Tim Hagen has been out fishing and will respond soon.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Guys i just got home from the tournament this weekend I need to down load pic and get everything together here i will post the tournament info very soon . I will tell you this if you didnt fish the potomac river this weekend or stop to watch our record setting weigh-in you missed out. soon everybody will see what i have been telling them for over a year if dont get better then this.

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    For over a year I have been talking about all the big blues coming out of the Potomac river. Some said it was just luck on my part well Saturday August 12th 10 teams showed up to fish our ACATS chapter tournament. And they fish from 7 am until 2 pm and have showed everybody who was there ,Just what I have said all along that this river holds some of the best blue cat fishing going today. We may not have the 60 to 100 lbs cats but from 20 to around 40 lbs this river will be hard to beat.
    The water temp had dropped from low 90’s to low 80’s in less then a week plus a full moon high tide put all the stars inline for what was a catfish show of shows. Team after teams came to the weigh-in with fish after fish over 20 lbs and after all had weighed in Douglas Johnson had biggest fish of the day with his blue cat of 40.35 lbs. Once again Joshua Fitchett & James Fields walked away with 1st place with 5 blues weighing in at 158.75 lbs and their big fish was 34.20 lbs
    In 2nd place was Michael McDermett & William Adams f fish 154.80 lbs an big fish of 36.35. 3rd place Mark Graves & Richard Pippin 5 fish 151.65 lbs big fish 37.00 lbs.
    4Th place Willy Ernstes & Mike Shears 5 fish 136.75 lbs big fish 31.55 lbs. 5th place Robert Fenter & Richard Mills 5 fish 128.90 lbs big fish 31.95. 6th place Douglas Johnson
    & Gary Lawhorn 5 fish 118.55 lbs big fish 40.35 lbs.7th place Eric Remain & Kenneth Miller 5 fish 85.05 lbs big fish 25.20 lbs. 8th place Marty Scott & Sabin Rausch 5 fish 62.60 lbs big fish 14.90 lbs. 9th place Preston Ferguson & Bryan Sinotkin 5 fish 12.65 lbs big fish 4.80 the 10th team did not finish boat troubles
    Guys that is 45 fish at a total weight of 1009.70 that gets an avg fish weight of 22.43 lbs per fish. That is something that you had to see and it didn’t stop then at the same time we run a tournament to benefit the American Red Cross the turn out was very low but the fish just wouldn’t stop 8 year old Eyljah Adams won the youth channel cat with 6.80 lbs and the blue cat with 15.50 then topped that with a 21.10 with no trail and even beat that with a 36.50 lbs fish. Guys a 8 year old boy had 3 fish at 73.10 lbs Think I may sign him up for next season as a partner.
    In the Red Cross tournament Blue cats Preston Ferguson took 1st place with a 41.75 lbs 2nd place went to Bryan Sinotkin at 35.00 lbs and Willy Ernstes got 3rd place at 31.55 lbs
    Biggest channel cat went to Bryan Sirotkin at 4.80 lbs. A great time was had by all and just think we hit this river again in October for a two day tournament. Them big boy will be feeding up for the winter and who knows what will pop up then maybe a new state record. And by the way the ACATS record for big stringer was at like 130 lbs for 10 FISH kiss that GOOD-BYE topped that 4 times in one day
    We have lots of room in the October tournament come on down, over or up what ever and see what we have to offer. Just drop my a PM and I can set you up for what looks to be ever bigger fish. Below or some pics eat your heart out guys

Attached Files:

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    more pics enjoy

Attached Files:

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    three more to enjoy

Attached Files:

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    enjoy and stop on by and see us i got open seats in my boat

Attached Files:

8. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Awesome pictures. I will be heading out Thursday evening into night. Should be fishing somewhere around the Fort Washington area. If anyone is out stop by and see us. Look for a fat redneck in a blue and white Bayliner.

9. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Its 2:00am Friday morning and I just got off the river. Cought 2 decent blues, a 25 pounder and a 23 pounder. Had several other fish in 8 to 14 pound range. All of the fish were cought on the outgoing tide. We hardly even had a nibble during the low slack and beginning of the incoming tide. A great night of fishing.

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Bob on the lower part of the tide try getting your baits up off the bottom. I drop line right over the side and fish baits 4 to 10' off the bottom and catch fish then. I always try to book my trips to fish the high parts of the tide .

11. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Thanks Tim. I will give it a try next time I'm out during low tide. I appreciate all of the help.

12. mohicks

mohicks New Member

State:
    VA
    Bob,

I have had decent luck catching big blues north of Pohick, however, I haven't caught many biggins farther south on the river. Can you recommend any places or techniques that may work farther south on the river?h

Mo

13. mohicks

mohicks New Member

State:
    VA
    Bob,

What technique were you using on the low tide?

Mo