Potomac River

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by TIM HAGAN, Apr 19, 2006.

1. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Guys the herring and rockfish are here and the catfish are just hitting everything they see. We had 65 fish today and a very nice 39.7 blue by a 13 year old first time ever fishing boy it dont get any better then that.

2. Potomusky

Potomusky New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Good to hear it. We went out yesterday afternoon ,after turkey hunting, and found it slow going. We only had one channel and the rest blues. Biggest was 5 lbs or so. I did have a big one on for a second or two though. We saw alot of surface activity from herring and shad with some big splashes every now and then. Looks like we need to head up river.

3. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    :) I'll be looking forward to getting down there atleast twice this month (tourny and one or more other times) though we may not get to win so easily this time...

Tim, how many teams we got for this next tourny?

4. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    How far downriver were you? Just wandering cause I might go this weekend and dont want to go any farther up then I have to.

5. Potomusky

Potomusky New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Billy, we went out at Marshall Hall. Had a good outgoing tide but the fish never really turned on.

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey guys we been hooking most of the bigger fish around 2 hour before high tide to one hour after. fishing realy seems to drop off after it starts realy going out. I been hooking most of them up the top side of the drop offs in 10 to 18 feet and they seem to have turned on with real hard hits around then lots of reel runners. Most have been on cutbait and chicken hearts live bait has been slow.

7. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Tim,

Had the same "problem" last weekend...cats were pounding the cutbait but they were dinks except the 10lber. Heading out this Sat morning again...man, its gonna be fun with the thunderstorms forecast!!!

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    If they stay like they have been I would say 2:30 to 6:00 saturday will be the best time. am and pm if your out around that time watch and see if the bites dont pick up then.

9. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    will have to try on sunday...calling for thunderstorms on saturday---dont want to take a chance with getting zapped on the water. gonna head out for a bait-catching trip tomorrow instead.

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    We will hold the may 6th tournament at Fort Washington Marina same place as the first tournament we had. I will let you put on anywhere you like But you must be at Fort Washington Marina by 6:45 to check in. This will help out with the parking troubles we had first time around. If you will put on at the marina there is a 10.00 ramp fee just pay that at the ramp box this time. Everything will be just at it was before start at 7am fish til 2 pm and we will start weigh-in at 3pm you must be checked in by 3pm. I will have entry form in the mail tomorrow morning if you are coming let me know asap this will help out alot on my part thank you and hope to see you are at this one.

11. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Still 5 fish limit? I missed the 1st one. Be easier now I can go by water. I cant get on the ACATS web for some reason to review the rules. I think I remember something about only 2 people per team. Cant remember the membership fee and if both partners have to join. We fished 4/23 and had a couple good ones we lost but overall was slow on big fish compaired to a couple weeks ago. dinks to 10 lbs were some kind of chewing.

12. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    billy the acats site is working find there is a link for it on the right hand side here. Both team members must be acats members and that is 25.00 a year. The tournament entry fee is 50.00 and 10.00 for big fish jackpot. if you email me i can send everything over you would need and the rules as well.

13. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Thanks Tim, I found my packet you sent me. I thought I read the entry fee was 100 but 50 sounds better to me. Only 2 people, no guest? We usally fish 3 or 4 but can "Get R Done" with 2 just the cost goes up. We fish more for fun so the tourny thing might not be as attractive.

14. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Sorry billy only two persons per boat and entry fee is 50 per team I cut it in half before the season started to help out with the cost. I have a list of members if you would like to check with them but everybody seem to enjoy the first one and is was cold and windy then. We will have warm waters and bigger fish this time around. anything you may need just ask and i will get it out to you .

15. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Tim,

We have mailed in our entry fee. We're ready to go.

16. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ok Marty we have 7 teams signed up from before and we have some new members coming to fish for the first time. Looks like we will have a great turn out this time even got a call from the VA boys today looks like they will make the trip and may have some new guys with them as well. Seems everybody I talk to is catching loads of big fish now this will be a fun tourny who will be the lucky one this time.

17. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    uh oh... looks like me and preston are gonna have some competition this time... hmmm maybe we'll just have to bring in the new MD state record to prove ourselves... :)

18. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Tim,

The weigh-in will be interesting to say the least. If the weather cooperates, we may see limits close to 100lbs. That'd be something to see in the post-tournament pics for the BOC site. Better re-spool my reels!!! ALOHA!

19. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    yes sir marty i would say 5 fish total of 100 plus will hit the tops spots maybe 5 or more teams. It will be something to see and who knows the next records fish may just show up then.

20. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    first tourny 2 teams came close to 100... first place team with 4 (95 lbs or so) fish and the second place team with 5 (93lbs or so)...

If me and my partner hadn't lost our 5th (somewhere between bringing them in the boat to bring back to weigh in and weigh in) we would have EASILY broken the 100 mark... well we'll just have to count for this time to make sure...