Potomac River, Whites Ferry...

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by bigjackcallen4, Aug 13, 2007.

1. bigjackcallen4

bigjackcallen4 New Member

Leesburg, VA
    Hello. I'm new to the area and over the weekend took my kids to Whites Ferry just to check it out. Looks like a really good place to take a couple of small kids to do some worm and bobber fishing. THey are under 12 so they are free but I guess I'll have to get a VA license. Will a VA license allow me to fish on the MD side? Also have questions about boating. Anyone know what the depth is at Whites Ferry or where I can get maps for water depth. Also are there speed restrictions for boats?

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

Manassas, Virginia

welcome to the board. There are lots of good folks here ready to provide advice and tips.

Whites ferry is not a bad area at all. Try to find holes around the rocks, and slip a worm or cut bait into the holes and watch out. You can use a va license on either side, though Maryland regs are to be followed.

I would not put much of a boat into that area since it is pretty shallow and rocky. Maybe a jon boat at best. Good luck.

3. maximumflash

maximumflash New Member

Fort Belvoir, VA
    I found a water depth map of the entire potomac at Boaters World. Cost around $9..... waterproof too.