Potomac River Snakehead fish

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by TIM HAGAN, May 6, 2006.

1. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Here's a potomac River snakehead fish from today at Fort Washington Marina One cool looking fish.

Attached Files:

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Mean looking fish, amazing how great they can adapt to foreign waters :confused2:

3. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    yeah there cool but they can damage the habitat

4. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    there cool looking but there bad for the habitat from what i heard about them

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I myself dont see a fish like that making that big a of a differents in a river. They have them in river overseas and they still have other fish in them as well. Years ago when we started getting mukies in are waters they was asking fishermen to remove them they would kill all the bass. Now years later we have more bass then before and big pike and mukies as well. snakeheads well eat fish but then so do all others and the rockfish and blues that are in the water around here well eat some snakeheads as well.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I totally agree with Tim, they will not harm the river. Actually, they are the Asian version of the walleye, predators that eat baitfish. I have caught snakeheads here in a park in PHilly. I release them because if I wont kill a flathead, I won't kill a snakehead. Don't let the press alarm you. Remember, the USA is the "melting pot", ALL SPECIES WELCOME!!!

7. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Being from PA you should know the damage gypsy moths have caused. Ask a farmer how much he likes mediterannean fruit flies. Zebra mussels cause millions in damage. The list goes on and on non-native species are NOT WELCOME.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I see your point in some ways but at the same time know that Blue & channel cats,Pike, Muckies,and small and large month bass are not native fish to the potomac river. But they all have lived here for many years and snakeheads are here to stay. DNR doesn't like the blues in the river but you will never get them out. Things will work it self out its when man trys to help that it end up a mess.

9. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i agree with most of you on killing fish, but an invasive fish is a different ball game.the asian carp has already wiped out some of our oxbow lakes here in ky and they are said to be having an impact on our rivers too. i dont know about snakeheads yet but i wouldnt take a chance. invasive species throw off our ecosystem putting a strain on our native fish. its time to close the borders in more than one way

10. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    cant be any worse then largemouth bass. snakeheads arnt the crazy fish that can walk across 15 miles go into house and get a beer out of the fridge that they are made out to be. non native fish are never welcomed and i would kill any nonnative fish i caught but im so sick of hearing about these snakeheads.

11. fishboy

fishboy New Member

State:
    SC
    I was talking to a Virginia Wildife Biologist and he did not believe they would take over. For what it is worth?