Potomac River Report

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by philg427, Jul 13, 2007.

1. philg427

philg427 New Member

State:
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Had a pretty good day today was a little windy but alright!. Took a friend who never has cuaght a real nice blue his biggest cat before today was 10lbs. Started out a little slow at first, first couple of fish were small 5-8 lbs. The got a mid teen fish moved to a little deeper water to 38 ft. Friend got his personal best!, Then he bested his personal best to about 25 lbs on the next fish. Tide started running better so I moved to a different spot first fish was in the low thirties beat his best again, the a couple of more in the mid teens a couple more in the low twenties. The it happened the rod doubled over and the race was on he said he could not get the fish off the bottom I knew it was going to be a good one, Been there and done that to many times. A few minutes later he finally showed himself diffently a bigger fish for my friend. The fish was in the mid 40's :big_smile: here's a picture of the fish. Total number of fish 18 1-40lb, 2-30's, 3-20's. numerous teens and 5 or 6 small fish

Attached Files:

2. Prowler

Prowler New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Nice fish! just got a couple more things to fix up on the boat and then I will give it a try!!! cant wait!!

3. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    Nice fish. Congrats on the catch.

4. kmdickinson

kmdickinson New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Where on the Potomac have you been getting them? I typically fish the stretch between Nanjemoy Creek and the Port Tobacco River. I get solid fish and in pretty good numbers from there but nothing like you got.

5. philg427

philg427 New Member

State:
    Poolesville, Maryland
    I fish anywhere from Downtown DC to south of Matowoman Creek. I know that is a big section but each area has different parts like shallow flats to deep drops to points,wrecks or any other type of structure. It depends on the time of year where I and what depth I want to fish and where the bait is too.

6. KG_CHawkX2

KG_CHawkX2 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    We fished out of Fort Washington this past saturday (Aug 18 07) and did quite well. Im from Va and had never been anywhere close to that far up the Potomac before. We were lines wet by 730, by 930 we had 5 fish in the boat over 20 lbs and numerous fish over 10, i think we may have caught 2 fish less than 10. Using cut shad and 6/0 Kahle hooks with 2 and 3 oz no roll sinkers, to a barrel swivel and about 15-20 in leaders. Action was hot and heavy until about 10 am or so, lots of boat traffic and alotta wind. Lost 5 solid fish, one of those being next to the boat and the fish would have been easily in the 30's. Also had one couple cruise up close to us in a cuddy cabin and just stare at us, my partner was fighting a fish off the bow, they proceeded to catch his line with their lower unti and strip the reel clean. I thought it was funny as hell but he was a little heated...lol

All in all a great day, we stayed in the same spot all day. about 100 yards north of the green channel mark 77 in about 35 feet of water.

7. KG_CHawkX2

KG_CHawkX2 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    a pic from saturday 22 lbs 8 oz

Attached Files:

8. maximumflash

maximumflash New Member

State:
    Fort Belvoir, VA
    That sounds like an ideal day of fishing. Then again, even the worst day of fishing is better than the best day of working.... lol.