Potomac river report

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by TIM HAGAN, May 15, 2007.

1. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I had 4 trips in the last 4 days we have lots of bait in the waters Herring,Shad, Perch its all here right now any boat deck will put them in your cast nest around high tides.

As for the fishing the spwan is on and if you are looking for the bigger fish look after the 1st part of June In the last 4 days I had over 100 fish boated only 6 over 20 lbs and the biggest was 26. Blues don't spwan until they get to be around the 20 lb weight class, so catching a fish over 20 lbs for the next few weeks will be hard and even bad for the fish, We need to look out for the fish and so let them do what is needed to keep this river going, For the next few week run them channel cats and rock fish around lets get them blues growning even more and add to what we already have one of the top blue cat rivers in the country.

If your look for a trip with me I will not do any more trips until the 15th of June so that I do not put spwaning fish off a bed.

Let all help keep the blues going

2. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    The rockfish season opens today on the potomac between the route 301 bridge and the WW bridge. I have no problem laying off the Blues for a while in favor of Rockfish. However I have yet to catch one in the river this year. Does anyone have any hotspots they would like to share. Also there are gar everywhere in the river now and I would like to catch one. does anyone know how to catch them, they havent shown any interest in my cut bait.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I have saw some nice rock boated around the fort and there in pohick bay just last saturday that one was maybe 40 +. I have seen the Gar both at the fort and in smoots bay friday and saturday. As for catching the Gar I can't help but will be catching into that as well. I would like to catch one of them here myself and some live shinner fished on top may catch one, maybe some of the members that catch alot will jump in here and help us out

4. aplumma

aplumma New Member

State:
    Virginia
    first you cut the bend and the barb off of the 3/8 oz jighead then get some white nylon rope. It is the kind that is soft and frizzy when you unwind a strand of it. Unwind about 4 inches and tie it to the head and hook shaft at the top 1/2 inch. Then comb and tease the rope till it is soft and fuzzy. Cast the lure past the gar and slash it back in front of him with erratic jerks and darting side to side. Once you have caught it and go to release it make sure you get all of the fibers out of his mouth so it does not get locked closed after you release him. The mouth of them critters is very bonie and even sharp hooks have little success of sticking them.

Art

5. oran

oran Guest

here is one caught from 2003 in the James. Fish the rope lure as described earlier but I make mine with 6 inch nylon and double it over and use a small wire tie to secure split ring to it. Use a small bullet weight on top like a rubber worm. When the fish hits the lure DO NOT "set the hook",rather free spool the line for about 30 seconds and then start reeling. the fish tries to chew the rope and it gets caught in its teeth. You can also use minnows(dead or live) but when it bites free spool and you have to gut hook it.

Attached Files: