Potomac River report

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by TIM HAGAN, Jan 30, 2007.

1. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I was on the water todayand to water temp has hit 33 degree ice was all over the slack parts of the river and the bite was NOT there two small channels and even they was slow to take the bait. With al the cold temp coming over the next week the potomac may ice up and stop fishing:sad2:

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Maybe we can try ice fishing? :eek:oooh: The only thing I dislike about the weather turning cold this late in winter is that we usually end up paying for it in May and June with below normal temperatures.

3. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Hey Tim, I know the bite lately has been pretty shallow but my winter cold water experiences tell me deeper is better. Not only deep but you have to find a deep water current break and fish behind it. You ever feel that big sinker after pulling it up out of 50 to 60' of water? Its a lot warmer then the surface water. How deep did you try and aging like you say trust your electronics and fish the marks. Good luck and you may be right, winter may shut us down for a few weeks.

4. pitbull

pitbull New Member

State:
    maryland
    Tim bite has slowed down that much from last weekend?? U going out this weekend or not? I might try it. Well thanks for the info. GOOD fishing to everyone. Have a grest day/

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Billy I fish deep water and marked some bigger fish but the bite wasn't there. Seems the only bigger fish 40 plus that I could get the bite any bait was when they moved up onto flat and from drop offs into 30 feet or less. All the guys that fished the tournament who fished deeper water was only in the mid 30's all the upper 30's and 40's came from 30' or less. The 2 41 that we had came from 20 and 15 feet.

And yes the can and has stop that fast I don't think its weekend will be any better big good luck if you head out. Watch the ice is was getting bad out the tues and with all the cold and talk of snow the river may just win us over for some time now.

6. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Tim ive talked about booking a trip with you through PMs. Would it still be worth it since the river bite has slacked off so much or should we wait till spring time?

Thanks,

Wheelmobile07

7. mike_4843

mike_4843 Member

State:
    Shippensburg PA
    Hey Tim I live in pa how much will license cost us and how many cats can 4 people expect

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Mike The license cost go by what state you are from I don't really understand why but then this is Maryland and their are a lot of thing here like that. I would call DNR here and see what the cost is for you you would need a Bay sport license to fish in tidal waters.

As for the amount of cats well its fishing and every day can be different. I have had trip of 2 fish and rips of 175 fish. One well i work hard and not catch one fish over 20 lbs and my best day was 41 fish over 20 lbs we couldn't keep them off the hook.

The best thing is to watch the post here and when they start hitting again members will post here. Right now the bite is off butMarch will start to pick up again. Mid March to late April will be hot times to fish, June is sometimes a hard month here with the spawn, July and August are best fished at night say times can be very hot and fish don't seem to bite very well doing the day light hours, Things will start to pick in sept and by oct the bite is on until the real cold temps set in. This year it was last of January when the bite stop over night it seemed.

just Follow the post here and when your ready to come down let me know if I don't have a trip then I can show you around some. And maybe some other members will be out then and help out some as well.

9. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    Tim,
    I would always catfish from the shores in the summer time but I had no idea that there was such good fishing in the winter time. I also had no idea that the blue cat fishery has become so strong. Normally I am fishing the warm water discharges this time of year, but I think that is going to change in the years to come. The chance to catch a 20 pound fish at any time of year let alone Jan. or Feb. is incredible. I have a jet drive that I fish at the susky for smallies, but it will probably will be a catfish rig in the winter from now on. Is the blue cat bite strong after the ice melts, and are they stll in the 20ft to 40 ft holes? Thanks

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ed I haven't been on the water in Feb this year because of the gold and ice. Last Feb I did real good in the 30' or less range and had some upper 40's then. Late Oct to april are the best months to target big blue on the potomac. You can catch them all year long but after the spawn they seems to be any where so targeting them gets a little harder then. Their is way to much ice on the river right now for me to be out their, but as soon as I can I will may post here so just follow up and when it starts up again I will let everyone know.

11. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    Will do, I went over the Woodrow Wilson this morning and all of the coves and shorline was ice. All the way up river by the GW parkway was solid ice. I can't wait till the thaw to start trying some new fishing grounds. Thanks again for the info.

12. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    ICE , ICE , and more ICE CABIN FEVER is here

13. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    What the hell Tim!! I leave for a couple of weeks and you let the river freeze up!?!

Oh well, the ice storm hit two days before I got home and when I got back it was pretty evident I had some work to do - lost every tree in the yard - see the pictures!!

Attached Files:

14. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Man nice to have you back i got somebody on my side now :lol:

Happy it was just the trees there thing was and still are bad here as well we got like 6"of sleet and ice mixed up here.

We had a nice turnout at the tournament and a very few who are unhappy but most seemed to really enjoy themselfs.

I see the river is really iced up now some cleaning up all the tackle and new line. did some work on the boat and I'm now ready to fish again. Come on warmer days.

Nice to see you back and good luck with the tree.

15. nalley1952

nalley1952 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    It's killing me. I can see the Potomac from the house and still lots of ice on it.

16. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Tawn,

Boy, I bet that was nice coming home too. I guess if someone needs some firewood, or lots of bank pole holders, they can give you a call....

17. nalley1952

nalley1952 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Tawn

If you need a hand just let me know. I live right down the road from you.

Todd

18. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks for the offer Todd, but it's all cleaned up already. I just need it to warm up so I can get a stump grinder in here.