Potomac River Report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bomberman, May 19, 2009.

1. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Launched at Leesylvania (water temp 68 degrees, air temp low 50s) at 6:00 a.m. and ran to get bait. I guess my honey hole is drying up because it took three soaks to get three cutters. I also caught several (over a dozen) small channel cats and one striper in the gill net. Boy those cats make a mess of tangled netting! :angry: All were untangled and returned safely.

Ran down river to my double-secret spot and deployed three lines amid big rollers with whitecaps...a small craft advisory was in effect. Despite the stong winds, I was able to anchor at the edge of a channel and cast to the deeper water.

Action was slow but steady with over 15 fish boated...from the mid teens to a largest of 25 lbs (see pic)...nothing huge but all put up a nice fight. I also landed a slot Striper of 20 inches that tried to engulf a hugh chuck of cut shad...he volunteered to come home with me for lunch. :smile2:

Windy but nice day to be fishing.

Attached Files:

2. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Bomberman, youi try those bait holes I showed you? I got another on probally close to where you were fishing. Its barely inside the line and right on the drop just south, 50 to 100 yards, of the ramp for the powerplant and the prfc marker. I drop my net in about 4' and strech it down to 20' or so. Done good on cutters there. I run that edge looking for them 1st. Sometime you have to go deep for the bait.

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I know where you're talking about. I've caught bait there before but that area has a lot of sunken wood in it and I've come close to loosing the net there...that's my last resort area. I haven't been out since you sent me that p.m. but I'll be sure to try those areas. Thanks for the info.

Tight lines.