Potomac River Report MAy 25, 2009

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bomberman, May 26, 2009.

1. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    (Air temp. 68, water temp. 74, overcast with light rain showers, wind less than 5 mph)
    Headed out at 6:00 a.m. on Memorial Day planning to get some fishing in before the hoards of jet skis and pleasure boaters got too thick. I launched at Leesylvania and ran up to the bait spot Billy Tucker mentioned in his thread titled Potomac Bait Hole : http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111280

I dropped the net in 3 FOW and stretched it to 5 FOW and went to some nearby rip-rap to throw a spinnerbait for bass while waiting. I hooked two nice bass in short order and after a 20 minute soak went to retrieve the net. I was very surprised to find 21 nice cutters waiting for me...thanks Billy!

I then ran upriver to a favorite spot just below Pohick Bay, stopping by a fellow catter on the way to share some bait, and then deployed four lines. A few moves and three hours later produced exactly one Blue Cat at 22 lbs....no other take downs. Figuring the cats were on the spawn I switched gears to target Bass and was rewarded with three more.

After being buzzed by a flock of jet skis I decided to call it a day. I stopped by the park fishing pier on the way in to share some more bait with some bank-bound catters and took the rest home to freeze.

Thanks to Billy, I now have a nice reserve of bait in the freezer. Sharing that kind of information on a message board is unheard of anywhere else but the BOC...I guess that's what keeps me coming back!

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was wondering when you guys were going to slow down. Most of my catting buddies are taking a breather down here waiting for the spawn to finish

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Yeah...we seem to be a couple of weeks behind you guys. It's time to scout out new locations and throw some plugs for Bass and Crappie for a little change.

4. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    i took kenneth,s lead and started croaker fishing. when they slow down i plan to hit the local lake and chase the flatheads.

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Another great fishing report, Chuck!

You certainly are a good example and great ambassador for the BOC in sharing bait and being an all-round good fisherman.

6. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Very kind of you to say so...I appreciate the compliments.

Tight lines.