Potomac River Report May 11, 2009

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bomberman, May 12, 2009.

1. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Hit the river for a little fishing. Launched at Leesylvania under threatening skys and light breezes. Ran the 7 miles up to the Occoquan River for bait but it was hard to come by. After an hour of deploying and retreiving the gill net I had exactly one Gizzard Shad in the baitwell. As I was motoring out, I found another one floating...it was a little smelly but it also went into the live well.

I ran another 8 miles upriver to a super double-secret spot that I located two weeks ago and deployed three lines with the smelly Shad. First hookup was about 5 minutes later...a 10 lb Blue Cat. I had just boated it when another rod bucked in the holder and the drag screamed. It took some effort to remove it but after a decent fight I slid the net under a chunky 30 lber. Both fish were released quickly and lines rebaited. Several more bites produced cats of 15, 20, 17, 12 and 25 lbs...and a small Striper...all nice healthy looking fish.

Then the tide changed and the fishing slowed. I was running out of bait anyway so I decided to call it a day. The wind kicked up on the way back to the dock and I faced three foot waves and whitecaps...the boat handled it well but the beating shook several screws on the windshield loose.

All-in-all a nice day to be on the water.

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    You're really honing in on those Potomac blue cats Chuck! WTG!

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congratulations on a great day.

4. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    good deal. whats your biggest cat so far on the potomac?

5. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    The biggest that I've personally boated was a little over 40 lbs. I've had a few that were bigger beside the boat but couldn't "seal the deal"...three broken rods last year before I upgraded my equipment and got serious about catting...graphite bass rods and catfish don't go together :smile2:.

The Potomac is a fairly young fishery compared to the James when it comes to Blue Cats. When I first started fishing it 10 years ago I would rarely catch a Blue...almost all cats were Channels. And a fish of 15 lbs was a wopper. Now, according to the new Catfish Insider Magazine, the Potomac is the best place on the planet for sheer numbers to catch a 30-40 lb Blue. Kind of exciting to see the fishery grow...if we can keep the commercial guys from killing it we should have another trophy catfish river (in addition to the James) to fish in the very near future.

Tight lines.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Another World Class Trophy Fishery. That would be nice. Thanks for the report.

7. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Yes...thanks for rephrasing that...another World Class Trophy Fishery.

8. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    i used to come up to the potomac for the great falls kayak race. beautiful river. always good to hear about good river reports on fishing improvement. i have been looking for the infisherman catfish issue. glad to hear it is out.

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    There has been alot of 30 and 40 lbers coming out of the potomac for a couple years now. Have seen pics of some 50s and a couple 60s. The Md record was caught last year on easter day. It was 65 or 67 lbs.