Potomac River Report Mar 16, 2009

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bomberman, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Launched from Leesylvania at 7:00 a.m., water temp 46.0, dead low tide. Ran to Occoquan River and jigged a Silver Buddy in the main channel while I let the gill net soak. Jigging produced over 2 dozen Yellow Perch, 3 Largemouth Bass, 2 Crappie and 1 Striper. Pulled the net to find 6 large cutters...enough for me!

Catfish bite was slow but managed 4 fish ranging from 15 down to 8 lbs. Also hooked up on another Striper, a 4 lb male, that still had sea lice attached to him. Spotted loads of fish on the electronics so the Shad and Striper spawning runs must be starting.

So, if you're reading this, get out and fish. Now's the time to be on the water!

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I always enjoy reading good Virginia fishing reports...and this is another good one. Thanks again, Chuck!

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Man ,,I wish I could figure out the yellow perch. Caught them by the buckets full in Canada with my grandfather as a boy and now I can't buy one. Sounds like a good day to me.

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks for the report. I was out on the river on the 21st out of Leesylvinia as well. We had trouble finding shad, tried a couple of places, and ended up getting bluegill in the Ocq. We ended up catching a half dozen blues, the two largest were 22 and 19. We were fishing in water between 35 to 40 feet.

5. FishyFilly

FishyFilly New Member

State:
    virginia
    Where is the closest place to buy a gill net and what are the regulations for it? I live in springfield and am a novice to the blue catfishing.

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I'm not sure of the closet location to buy a net. Check out the http://www.mrc.state.va.us/ for net regulations and license information.

7. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I bought my gill net through "Memphis Net and Twine Co" http://www.memphisnet.net/category/fishing . There are other places around that sell them but I already deal with them for other items and their customer service is outstanding. Just call them and tell them what you want...good folks.

BTW...my net is their #4 monofiliment, 1 3/4 in square, 6 ft deep and 48 ft long. Top line floating, bottom line lead core. Hope this helps.

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm on my 3rd net from Memphis net. Like already said,,,their customer service is the best. Mine is 1.75 inch ,,,,3.5 inches stretched making it legal year round in VA. Mine is 75 feet long and 6 feet deep. Floats on the top line which is also floating and actual lead weights on the bottom line. It goes down like a stone. I use old window sash weights to anchor my net with and crab pot bouys attached at each end of the top line. That hopefully keeps the boaters and me:smile2: from running over my net.