Potomac River Report June 1, 2009

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bomberman, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Launched out of Leesylvania SP at 6:00 a.m. and ran across the river to Smallwood SP in Maryland to pick up a friend who is new to fishing. His goal was to catch a fish, no matter what size or species. We left Mattowoman Creek and ran up river to just off of High Point to the channel edge. I deployed three lines...two with large chunks of shad and one with a small piece of shad...Ray used one rod with chicken livers. The two rods with chunks went unmolested for the two hours we were there but Ray was able to land two nice channels (one on my rod) including a nice 8 lber (see pic). Ray was getting a little impatient so I suggested we go throw some spinnerbaits for bass and he was all for it.

We hit the shoreline targeting fallen wood and grass in the shadows. I landed 8 in the next two hours and Ray couldn't connect. I even put my lure on his line, let him have several cracks at the good cover and when he was done with it I would toss in and get a hit. I felt bad for the guy but there wasn't much else I could do. I even landed two very jumbo Yellow Perch that ate my spinnerbait...they went home with Ray for dinner.

All-in-all it was a fun morning and I think Ray learned a little bit more about fishing...which was the primary goal to begin with.

Water temp 74.6, clarity: 3 feet +.

Attached Files:

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like fishing in general. Any size any species....caught my first striped bass Saturaday at Deep Bottom. It was 5" a baby...still my first. They can only get bigger from there.

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    You know it's gotta be bad when the chunks are ignored and the liver gets eaten! Yellow perch in the skillet doesn't sound bad, though. :big_smile:

4. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Fried Yellow Perch, with some Blackened Channel catfish fillets Sounds like a great supper to me... On the side with either seasoned steak fries or Black eye pea's w/ chunks of taters goes great with anything..... Good fishing...

5. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Ray has since told me that his family really enjoyed the fish that evening. Nothing like fresh fish to make the significant other more receptive to additional fishing trips.:big_smile:

6. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good Job Chuck!!!!

Taking someone fishing and them catching something that excites them makes the trip worthwhile even if I don't catch anything!

Randy

7. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    way to go and thanks for the report