Potomac River Report Jan 18

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bomberman, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Launched out of Leesylvania SP at 9:30 a.m. Weather was clear and cool, but warming. Decided to check on the Yellow Perch spawn progress (yeah, I know it's a little early) and headed up the Occoquan River. The wind made it difficult to hold in one spot with the trolling motor while jigging so I anchored off the main channel in 14 ft of water. I did see loads of fish on the electronics and managed to boat 6 Perch, the largest was an 11 inch male, the others, a little smaller and all males. Water temp. there was 36.4 degrees. Decided to try for catfish so I ran to a dependable hole...it was partially covered in ice with water temps hovering at 33.6 degrees. Once again the wind made it hard to hold anchor but I did manage to get two rods in...and they sat there undisturbed for 45 minutes. I finally had enough of the wind and called it a day. Off the water at 1:30 p.m.

2. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey at least you got some perch bro. Me and mike (bluecat69) went out to DG about the same time you did we ended up with about 10 cats a couple 20s and one 35, water temp here was 51-55

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I need to figure out where to catch yellow perch in the James. I know they are around.

4. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Around here the hot community hole is on the Occoquan River...there were loads of them in there already...the depth finder would actually register a "new" bottom every time a school would come through...they were that thick. I'm sure I could have caught a boat load but they were all small males and I only kept enough for dinner. Check any tributary with a deep water mud flat this time of year...I'm sure they are there.

Tight lines.