Potomac River Report Feb 16, 2009

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bomberman, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

Spring Run, PA
    Launched out of Leesylvania with the air temps just above freezing and the water temp at 40.5 degrees. I decided today was the day that I would learn to use the gill net...I'm tired of getting wet using the cast net. I set up the first soak in fairly shallow water (5 feet) on a mud flat where I've taken shad before. After a 30 min soak it yelded nothing. Rats! Ran to a little deeper water (12 feet) where I marked several fish on the electronics and deployed the net. After a 35 min. soak I had two cutters in the boat...success! I deployed it again nearby and waited another 30 mins. This time I had four nice cutters...yeah!

That's enough bait for me so I ran down river to Aquia Creek for cats. The wind made it very difficult to stay anchored where I wanted but managed two cats: one 17 lb and one less than 10 lb. It was a rough ride back with the wind coming straight down river and the tide coming in. White caps everywhere.

Not a lot of fish in the boat but having success with the gill net made this trip worthwhile.
  2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great fishing report, Chuck!