Potomac River Report April 6, 2009 - Channel Catfish - Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bomberman, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Launched out of Leesylvania at 7:00 a.m. trying to get some fishing in before the t-storms rolled in. River was a little off color with water temps at 56 degrees. I was using frozen shad due to time constraints. Put two fish in the boat: a 7 lb Channel and a 20 lb Blue (pic). Thunder started rumbling around 9:00 a.m. so I ran for the dock. Got dumped on for the last 300 yards to the dock.

It would have been nice to stay out longer but I'll take two hours any day.

Tight lines.

Attached Files:

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks for the report. Better to be save..... We got caught in a storm last year on the Potomac while also out of Leesylvania, and it was no fun. We were just around the point and had to come back into the wind, with the waves running very high, not a fun trip in a bass boat.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
  4. bill55

bill55 New Member

State:
    Pa
    Hi all---from Pa here fish the Susquehanna below york haven--channel cats and the occasional flathead. Just got to try the Potomac for bigger flattys and maybe a blue or two. Any suggestions for locations for bank fishing on either Md or Va? anyway really enjoy the pics and many ideas i have gotten here thanks to all

5. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Bill,
    The Potomac is the wrong place to hope to catch a Flathead. I'm told the Occoquan River has a decent population of them but have never targeted them specifically. There may be a few places you can fish from the bank but to reach the deeper channel waters you will need a boat. You might try around the Ft. Washington, MD area as the channel cuts pretty close to the shoreline there...also, directly under the Woodrow Wilson Bridge on the Virginia side is a decent place...but it gets crowded. Good luck.

6. bill55

bill55 New Member

State:
    Pa
    thanks bomberman gonna give Ft Washington a try

7. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Bill, about the only place on the Potomac that might have flatheads is clear up in DC close to Fletchers landing and above. I've fished the Ft Washington Area pretty good for the last 2+ years and haven't even heard of anybody catching flatheads in that area, But anything is possible. Only thing I've ever seen below the WW bridge is Blues, channels, the occasional whitecat and some mudcats. I'm not sure that the flatheads like the salinity in the water on the lower Potomac.The Blues around the Ft. Washington area have some good size to them. Pretty common to get them in the 30's's, 40's and 50's with the occassional one in the 60's.

If your in the York Haven area. you should be in some good waters for the flatty's. From York Haven to below the Conowingo dam.there are quite a few guys getting into them regularly in the 30's and up.

8. WV_Jeep

WV_Jeep New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I fish the Potomac from the WV side and ive caught some Flatheads up that far