Potomac River Nov 30, 2009

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bomberman, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Launched from Leesylvania SP at 7:30 a.m. First soak of the net got nothing. Set up in a little deeper water and bingo...a net full of cutters...18 in all. Ran to a deep hole and anchored at 40 ft. I decided that since I had plenty of bait that I would experiment a little. On one rod I put a regular sized chunk, another rod a little larger, even larger on a third rod and on the forth rod a whole shad...hooked through the eyes. Five minutes later the rod with the whole shad went down hard. A good fight and lots of drag pulling and I eventually netted a 53 lber. Nice way to start the day. Just put that one back when another rod bucked...a fiesty 49 lber. And so it went: fish weighing 28, 37, 34, 46, and 31 all came to the net and were released. Then a rain squall rolled in and the temperature dropped so I called it a day...off the water at 11:00 a.m. Brought the extra bait home and vacuum packed it for the freezer for leaner times.

I truly believe that you can't have bait too large for these cats...when they can engulf an 18 inch shad like it's a snack...wow! Amazing creatures for sure.

Tide: outgoing
    Water temp: 47 degrees

Here are two pics of the largest ones:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009

2. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great Job, I always wondered if cats would bite a whole shad. That was outstanding I applaud you my man

3. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    wow you always seem to get big fish:cool2: good job bro!

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Get after them good. That Potomac River is coming on strong! I'm glad. Should suck some of the pressure off the James.:wink::wink:

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Nice report Chuck. Looks like the big ones are starting to bite for you!

6. Earl1

Earl1 New Member

State:
    wooodbridg
    you got the honey hole tuned in good thanks for the report how deep was the bait

7. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Earl,
    The bait was in the 7 -8 feet range...nothing in the 5 ft and less areas. Have you been out lately?

8. lostconch

lostconch New Member

State:
    virginia
    bomberman, how far down river(potomac) do catfish range, I keep a boat in southern md and mainly fish in the bay and lower potomac, would love to try to hook up with some of those big catfish. I live in manassas, right up the road from leesylvania. boat is too big to trailer up here.

9. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA

Mike,
    First off, welcome to the BOC. Glad you found us! As for your question, I really do not know how far they range...perhaps someone else will have better info for you and will answer. I have heard of them being caught as far down as the Wicomico River (MD) near Cobb Island but I haven't fished for them there so it's only hearsay. I do know that from the Fletchers Cove in D.C down to Aquia Creek, VA is prime territory for the big blues...get to know some folks from this site and I'm sure they can put you on some fish...there are some really talented fishermen on here...I've learned a lot and am still learning.

Tight lines.

10. Earl1

Earl1 New Member

State:
    wooodbridg
    the family has had me busy this past two weeks but now iam free. was out sat nov.21 did good but nothing to write home about. this next wee i will be back out again. thanks for the info. on the bait

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Hell of a trip man! Congratulations on some very nice fish:wink:

12. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im with ya i think you cant have a bait too big for them big cats man they will eat a 2 lb shad with no problem. congrats on the nice blue:wink:

13. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    :crazy:WOW thats a great day in my book