Potomac River - Gameplan for Saturday?

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by TShepherd, Apr 12, 2007.

1. TShepherd

TShepherd New Member

State:
    Ft Belvoir, Virginia
    I haven't been out on the river in a week and a half and taking any suggestions for a starting point for fishing the outgoing tide Sat morning. Seems as if the wind is going to be a monster tomm and lots of rain Sat night and Sun. If I'm gonna get my fishin fix it's gota be Sat. I plan on catching Gizzs tommorow evening/night and hitting the river at first light.
    2nd? Is there a limitation on the number of rods you can fish from a boat on the Potomac?

2. TShepherd

TShepherd New Member

State:
    Ft Belvoir, Virginia
    Only got three Gizzards last night on 40 cast so I started early and caught a half dozen more this morning in the creek. Went to Ft Wash and charted around the ledge near th mouth of Piscataway, did not see too much so I went to the other side of the main channel and found fish and bait just downriver and west of bouy 79. Set up over 29 ft of water. Fished deep and shallow side with fresh cut shad. Started with fillets and got a small channel and small blue. Switched to big baits and between 8:45 and 9:30 caught a 32, 38, 20 and 18 lbs blues. Missed quite a few hits and probably could have kept going but the wind changed and I could not keep the boat still. Had a pretty good day and back home before lunch. Surface temp in the river around 50 deg and 54 and up in the back of the creeks. I hope this helps someone out and want to say thanks for all the help from other members here.

3. Rivercat09

Rivercat09 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    The only thing that I ran across in the Maryland DNR regarding numbers of rod and hooks in tidal waters is:

"IN TIDAL WATERS OF THE STATE IT IS UNLAWFUL to use more than two (2) hooks or two (2) sets of hooks for each rod or line. Artificial lures or plugs with multiple hooks are considered one (1) set of hooks"
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/regulations/tidalunlawful.html

4. Rivercat09

Rivercat09 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    TShepherd, Great report!! We should have done the river yesterday instead of Solomons. We trolled the Chinese Mud lump just north of the Pax River yesterday for about 3 hours. We marked plenty of schools of fish, but the rockfish just had lockjaw. Also, the wind beat the snot out of us the whole time. I learned a lot yesterday about what my boat will do and is was great practice trolling overall.

5. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Good report Shep.

Where do you catch your shad? I will be taking my brother out on Saturday the 21st. I would like to put him on a couple big cats. We'll be launching out of Belvoir and fishing around Ft Wash and Marshall Hall.

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Guys there is no rod limit in tidal waters

7. TShepherd

TShepherd New Member

State:
    Ft Belvoir, Virginia
    Rit, when you exit the marina look for tail flipping around the first red creek bouy. If it is close to low tide you will need use your tr motor because it gets real shallow. When motoring out using the outboard, I will see them jump away or swirl and then I just switch to the minn kota and start casting. If the water is high, you can cross over by the docks on the left side and throw. I have better success in low light condition or at night. I'll be going out sat morning, may catch bait fri night. I have alot better luck keeping the bait alive and cutting them right before use them.

8. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    I know about the shallow water there....unfortunately from experience a couple weeks ago when I tried to get back into the marina at low tide. I may go out later this week for bait. Is there good shore access up north of the city to cast for shad? I may run up there and catch some Thursday or Friday. If not, Saturday morning will be very entertaining for anyone around the Dogue Creek area as it will be my first attempt at cast netting shad!

9. TShepherd

TShepherd New Member

State:
    Ft Belvoir, Virginia
    The tide will just start to come in around dark fri night. If you want to meet me at the ramp fri afternoon, I'll show you what I know (which ain't much). I have not found any other places to castnet bait yet. I know that blue plains tr plant will hold them but I don't want to run so far up. I've been looking for some herring but I guesse its hit and miss with the weather. If you can move around at low tide in the creek then you can get them bunched up a little better in the 3ft deep boat lane.

10. TShepherd

TShepherd New Member

State:
    Ft Belvoir, Virginia
    RiverCat, have you tried trolling in the river around the 301 br yet?

11. Rivercat09

Rivercat09 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Not yet, but I look forward to it. Last Friday was my first trip out on my boat. That's the beauty of Mattawoman: I can blast south to the area of the 301 Bridge, and can essentially, be fishing the bay. I can also go north and fish for what the lower river has to offer.

I look forward to doing some trolling for stripers and blues this season below the 301 Bridge. I also look forward to catching big blue cats just outside of my marina.

Trophy blue cats to the north; croakers, blues, trout, and spot to the south; white perch and stripers all around. Life is good! :big_smile:

12. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Fished a couple hours around mid day today. Caught a couple fish but they were small. My fishfinder has officially died, so now I have to start researching its replacement. All opinions are welcome!

I didn't have any shad today. I was on a tight schedule and wanted to spend the time fishing, so I used some store bought perch and chicken livers. Livers only brought in small fish, the perch brought in a couple decent ones. I spent most of my time around Ft Washington, but got discouraged without my fishfinder.

There is still lots of debris in the water, so be careful if you're going out tomorrow.

All in all, it was a beautiful day and I think I might be able to sneak back out on Monday...

13. TShepherd

TShepherd New Member

State:
    Ft Belvoir, Virginia
    Rit, sound like you caught a few more than most. I caught a tank full of bait lastnight and started fishing today after high tide. I tried 4 different spots that had worked and even went all the way up to Smoots bay and got the big SKUNK. Marked good fish, Lots of nibbles but no takedowns. great spring day but the fish seemed to be taking a vacation. Definitely better than a day at work.

14. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ya we started fish at 7 and had 5 in the boat by 8:30 then the bite stoped fish until 4:eek:o and never find a good bite. Had a 26,25,15,and two around 7 lbs. Shad was very easy to get at blue plains but the debris is very bad hard to set up on many of the good spots and stay there for long.

15. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Yep, we didn't have any suicide runs. Most of the hookups came from setting the hook on light hits. The fish just didn't seem committed to eating:angry:

It was a great day on the water though, and I made it out and back without tearing up my boat on all the debris in the water...

16. mohicks

mohicks New Member

State:
    VA
    I was SKUNKED as well. I started fishing the outgoing tide at Ft. Washington w/SHAD. I missed a good fish right of the bat and never had another good bite the rest of the day. It was a beautiful day though.