Potomac River catfishing - What gives!!!

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by philg427, Sep 21, 2006.

1. philg427

philg427 New Member

State:
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Hey guys it has been real quite no reports on the bite! How's the Potomac River what has everyone been catching? It seems like everyone has a case of the shut mouth.

I've been catching small small fish up in the teens and mid 20's but no 30-40 lb fish where have they gone!

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I was out sunday night at fort washington we had lots of smaller fish and lost one very nice one. lots of short bites , reel runs and let goes. I will be out on fri and sat will let you know how it goes. bait was hard to find last sunday

3. philg427

philg427 New Member

State:
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Bait has not been a problem with me except for the white perch trying to find them the rest is ok. Fish must be in that transition period and moving hopefully will find the big boys soon. Have you been finding any perch

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I found perch up in blue plains but not many over 6" size limit. Found a lake in PA that has tons of perch have some boys catching them for me so will try to keep some in my bait tank and see how that goes.

5. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    A little birdy tells me the fish are down river to way down river. Well thats a catfish buddy of mine that has been fishing closer to 301 bridge then Aquia creek. That as close as he will tell me. Last weekend he fished just 2 lines by himself and had 1 broken rod and line lost fish, broke line on another big fish, landed 2 30 lbers at the same time and caught another 15 from 15 to 30 lbs. Caught his bait in the same area with a castnet in just a few throws. This is the 2nd weekend in arow he has done well down there. Last time I was out ,2 weekends ago, gizzadrs were thick in the mouth of Occaquan. Fishing was slow but did have a 39,35,24 and a12lber but only got 5 bites all night. For some reason bait and fish have moved way down this fall unlike last fall. There are still a few fish upriver but widly scattered. I am chomping to go down river but between the family comments and the wind forcast of 20 to 25 SW its not in the cards for me. Probally get screwed into working OT at my real job next weekend.

6. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Was out wednesday morning in the fort washington area and we caught a 30, 15, and had another one come off. Caught all of our shad in the belmont bay area of the occoquan. Will be out satuday morning, probably in the fort washington stretch of the river. Stop by and say hi if your fishing in the area.

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I was there today and we ended up with 7 fish over 15 lbs today 44,36,30,28,25,22,15 lots of smaller fish maybe 30 or so. they have moved down river some from the last trip don't no why. Maybe something from blue plain or just something to do with all the grass up river who knows. But just hang in there they will be back up river here soon they aways do. We got 30 perch in 10 cast today just below the bridge. most of the big fish was below fort washington and above Mt Vernon

8. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Thats a good day Tim. Maybe the fish just had lock jaw the days I fished up there. The grass and trash were real bad and may of been more of a problem then I thought.

9. philg427

philg427 New Member

State:
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Glad to see the fish picking up again must have been a short dry spell! good to see it coming on for the fall

10. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    That was one heck of a day Tim. We were out Saturday morning and the wind was terrible and had most of the river unfishable. Found a little bit of a lee from the SW wind by the mouth of Gunston creek down by pohick. Cought plenty of shad agian in the shallow bay there at the mouth of the Occaquan by the islands.

11. mohicks

mohicks New Member

State:
    VA
    I fished Ft. Washington by myself Tuesday and had a good day. In 3 hours, I caught a 26, 25, and 23. I lost a rod while reeling in the 23 pounder as another fish hit and I couldn't get to it in time (no rod holders). It seems like things are picking up. Is anyone having luck farther south on the river? I just started catching big blues this summer in the Ft. Washington area and haven't fished many other areas because the Ft. has produced almost every time. I launch out of Leesylvania and would love to find some big fish a little closer to home.

12. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    You rode over a lot of good catfish water. Any deep water decent drop can be good from 5 miles below fairview beach to DC. Just look at your charts and watch your sonar for the big fish. I have caught them pretty much all over.

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    has anybody been on the water the last 2 or 3 days? I will hit the water tomorrow morning looking to see if the rain & high tides from the strom has the water messed up again. I will be around the Fort washington - ww bridge waters tomorrow stop on by if your out there.

14. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Heading out tomorrow Monday October 9th. Going to put in at Smallwood State Park and head up towards the WW bridge and then fish our way south. Hopefully we'll be able to find some shad without too much trouble.

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Nathan I was out for about 4 hours the bite was slow as the water is up from the full moon tide. I got lots of bait around the bridge only made 3 cast and had 28 shad. Let me know how you do I will hit it again tuesday morning, here myung po first even catfish 10 lb 4 oz from today he ended up with 11 cats and lost about that many as well

Attached Files:

16. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Ended up putting in at Marshall's Point and running up to Fort Washington. Caught (3) 2-3lbers there. Moved up towards the Woodrow Wilson bridge and caught a 3lber. Next moved down to Sycamore Point and caught (2) 3lbers, (2) 6lbers, and a 12lber. Last fishing stop for the day was Possum Point. Caught (2) 5lber, a 8lber, and a 12lber. Overall not too bad a day of fishing. No luck finding shad on the river. We'll definitely have to look more around the WW bridge next time. Another lesson learned... Do not Anchor over by the Fort Washington lighthouse (where the Army radars are). The bottom eats anchors. Going to stay more localized next time and try fishing a smaller stretch of river for a longer time. Basically mapping it out as we go.

17. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    ha ha ha yes I have pulled 3 anchors out of that light house waters this year. I will hit the fort washington water tomorrow morning to start andwho knows maybe i will find #4 if I do I will let you know. Did you try for bait around the bridge. If your around this weekend stop on down at smallwood around 2:30 pm and watch the weigh-in and meet the guys.

18. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    That bottom has a lot of bad things for sure. Mine is above the White Lighthouse somwhere even with the little brick building. Broke my heart when it let go, been with me 10yrs at least. If any one sees a 5-prong galvanized with flattened ends shaped for digging. I'll pay dearly to get it back. Now enough of that. I'll be in Savannah this weekend so I'll miss the weigh-in. Hope y'all have a good turn-out with great results. Most of all be safe. Later for---jonnycat

19. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    I was out in a friend boat 2 weeks ago and we lost his anchor about a 100 yard upstream of the light house. Does anyone know what is down there? As old as that site is its probably hard to tell. We have been having a hard time finding bait down river also, was out last wed and couldnt find any shad, had to go up the occoquan and catch blue gills from the boat docks for bait.

20. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Didn't try for bait right around the bridge, but did try around a couple of piers and also in Smoots Bay. No luck there. Ended up using chicken liver, hearts, and gizzards. That's what we ended up catching all of the fish on.

As for the lighthouse and the anchor eating. I think it must be rip-rap down there that extends out from the point. We tried driving a circle around the thing to apply pressure from every conceivable angle and no luck at all at getting it to wiggle free. That place just gets marked on the chart with a skull and crossbones now :lol: