Potomac river baitfish

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by Bob R, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    I have just recently figured out how to catch decent size blue cats in the Potomac. However, Im finding it difficult to get legal live bait out of the river. The bait I'm catching are shad, inwhich there is a moratorium on, and white perch which have to be atleast 6" to keep due to Potomac River Fisheries Commisson regulations. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ya Bob the laws maybe different come next year we have talked about it in the last fisheries meeting. I dont know where you are try to get bait but i have found some places that seem to hold biggest perch but it seem best to hit there right at daybreak or just before dark. Right along the dock at blue plains lower end , right at the drop off at fox ferry point low tide , incomeing tide just around the upper side of the light house at the fort , I have move over to carp have a fish farm here 20.00 a 100 most are 5 to 8" a they seem to work as good if not better then perch, there is also alot of smaller carp on the mud flats around the ww bridge in the day time have had lots there.

Dont forget will have a tournament on the potomac august 12 - 13 something to check into alot of VA boys will be there fishing with us.

3. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    The shad you are catching this time of year are gizzard shad. They are legal for bait, the moratorium is for american shad which are only in the river during the spring spawning run

4. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Tim & ears thanks for the helpful info.

Tim- Could you forward to me some information on the fish farm that you are purchasing your carp from. I would rather buy my bait in advance and have it with me before I go fishing than have to worry about finding, catching and spending the first hour of the trip trying to catch bait.

ears- Thanks for the info on the shad. I had assumed that the shad I was catching were american shad that didnt migrate back out of the river.

I found a bait on the internet called a Black Salty that can be delivered live overnight to your door. Appearantly the bait is a cross breed between gold fish and carp and can be ordered beween 6" and 7" inches in size. Has anyone tried these or know anything about them. Also with all of the press the potomac has recieved lately with invasive species (snakeheads) I would be hesitant about using anything that is not native to the river.

5. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    You also may want to hit a pond for bluegill if you can. I prefer perch for bait, but with the regs, it can be more difficult. I agree that the shad you're netting are probably gizzards. Lift up the dorsal fin to see what it looks like and go online to a shad identification chart and you'll see the noticable difference right there. One other thing, you may want to try slip bobber rigs just under those schools of shad for some nice blues. That's been the ticket recently down at Lake Gaston. Try setting it for anywhere between 4 - 20 ft (start with 10 ft) and fish a sharp channel edge. If at night, I attach a 1.5" glow stick to the float. Double anchoring works well for optimum boat position.

Mike

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey Bob I get must of my bait from Eaton's Fish Hatchery the # is 301-898-7578 he has the black salty as well.
    I keep them in my bait tank here sometimes for weeks at a time

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Mike is right about those Slip Bobbers, on Lake Gaston we have been getting some nice Blues on the bobbers.

8. mohicks

mohicks New Member

State:
    VA
    Mine fish finder just broke this year and I'm looking to buy a new one. If anyone has any affordable recommendations, it would be much appreciated.