Potomac River April 20

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by mohicks, Apr 18, 2007.

1. mohicks

mohicks New Member

State:
    VA
    I'm heading out on the Potomac this Friday at first light. It's my first trip of the year and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck this week, or even gone out for that matter. The weather has been pretty bad lately. My plan is to fish for spawning hickory shad for a couple hours in the early AM in the Occoquan, while fishing for big stripers as well. I'm then going to head to Ft. Washington around 11am and try for some blues on the outgoing tide. Any tips with regards to depth, tide, or location the blues have been recently would be much appreciated. If you see me out there, stop on by and say hi. I'll be in a bayliner bowrider that I've tried to convert to a fishing boat.

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ok guys just got back in waters is muddy but coming down.lots of trash moving but if you can find a place to get set up the bite is there, I got 6 shad in 3 cast at fort washington ramp set up in the mouth of pisscataway for 3 hours had 18 cats 12 of them over 20 lbs biggest was a 28

3. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    I'll be out tomorrow dodging debris. My first real trip of the year. I'll probably try to find a clear spot around Ft Washington.

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I'll be on the water tomorrow but i'll be up river from all of you, heading out and renting a rowboat at Fletcher's (DC water) w/ a friend and seeing what me and him can't catch... bringing some bait and then planning on catching some white perch around the area to use as well.. I just hope we can find the fish... I'd be happy w/ a 2 lber after the last few weeks with the weather and issues when i went to go fishing, never getting out on the water... It'll be a nice day out for it...

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    16.5, 4, 2 lber... River was too high for them to allow the rentals out... plus WAY TOO MUCH DEBRIS... Fought that constantly fishing the large eddy there at Fletcher's Cove... Just to let you know... DC's info is incorrect as far as Fletcher's being a citation center for their citations... I talked to the guy (when I brought up my 16.5 lber, ok the cert size is 6 lbs for catfish, rather risk injury to a smaller large one then one of the true brutes) and they said they hadn't gotten anything from DC Dept. of Health (I know right, something aint right w/ fishing regs being under DOH) this year to be able to do the citations... they aren't selling herring either because they can't get the permits to catch/sell it...

*sigh* all the plans go out the door with that... Oh well... Emailed DOH tonight to see what's up and if they can get me a citation and get the citation info to Fletchers... We'll see what happens w/ it...