Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got on the water about 9am armed with a cooler full of live eels I brought back from Greentop last weekend and a dozen or more live bluegill from a local pond. Didn't even bother setting out the gill net. It was my first time using eels on the Potomac and boy do they love 'em! I fished 8 rods with an assortment of bait as follows: 2 with live eels, 2 with cut eels, 2 with live bluegill, 2 with cut bluegill.........Results as follows: Caught about 15 channel cats (biggest 12lbs) and 6 blues on cut eels (biggest 24lbs) Caught 6 blues on live bluegill. Caught ZERO on live eels and cut bluegill. I also had a REALLY nice fish hooked and about 30 seconds into the fight he found something that got my line snagged. I even left the line on freespool in hopes that it would free itself and eventaully pulled the other rods in and used the trolling motor to attempt to free the line....No luck as I had to wrap the 80lb power pro around the net handle and break it. Caught most fish in about 25' of water on incoming tide...........Only caught about 2 fish after tide changed around 1pm. I fished all my usuall spots and had never caught a channel cat in these spots before.,,,, I guess the eels were more appealing to the channel cats than the shad?

Pic is of 5 fish that were caught almost all at once! No monsters today but water was calm and weather was great!

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nice catch man. I wished we had blues here in Jersey on the Delaware River. I do have my Maryland licscenes though so it's just a matter of time before I make that 3 hr run down to the Potomac. They channels here are all over cut eel. I use 1 pole with a nightcrawler to catch a fat eel and I'm set for the entire night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.