Potomac River - 30 Dec Report

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by special liberty, Dec 30, 2006.

1. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Fog!!!
    Put in at Marshall Hall at 0900 with visibility less than 20 yds. Due to the visibility we stayed well out of the channel and at very low speed. While poking along I noticed a wreck on the new GPS software I got for Christmas in about 25' of water. Not wanting to move around in the fog, we anchored on top of it and proceeded to catch 7 or 8 fish between 10 and 25 lbs in about 20 minutes. As soon as the tide started to come in the bite turned off. Throughout the rest of the day we caught scattered 5-10 lbs fish in a couple different spots - never did locate anything over 30 lbs. Seems like they shut down once the current/tide starts rolling. Posted a couple of pictures - check out the fog in the background - might not have been my smartest move even being out there.

Attached Files:

2. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    The fog just makes everything that much more fun,:wink: jk. It looks like you had a great time, congrats on the nice fish too. Thanks for the pictures.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tawn don't you just love that GPS.:lol: Sounds like you had some fun and caught some fish. I don't like being out there in the fog. :crazy: I'll leave that to someone else. I'm glad you made it back safe. Thanks for the pics.:big_smile:

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    you are right the fog was something I have never seen it that bad and hang around that long i hit the water at 6:15 and the fog didn't stop til after 12.00.that 25 min run to my first hold took 2 1/2 hours. I had a youth boy out today his dad gave him a trip for his brithday. The biggest cat he had up til today was 7 lbs. His very first fish today was 13 PB right off and it wasn't over. he ended up with 2 at 13 and a 15,18, 23, 26 plus maybe 20 from about 1 to 7 lbs. he has been read thing on the site and now he will be signing up as a member. I will let him post his pictures and tell his story His first day on the potomac and never saw land until after 12. Saw alot of you guys out there today Oran,Cliff,Tawn,Nathan,and I think I saw jonnycat on my way off the water today. Hope I see you guys at the tournament as well

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Tawn,

Nice fish. I guess with the fog, y'all did not have to "doctor" the pictures.:lol:

6. oran

oran Guest

Lets not talk about the FOG,I am ashamed to say it took 2.5 hrs ,after getting turned around several times,listening for a rooster on the shore as a reference,dropping anchor to keep up-river and down-river direction straight,just to go from Marshall Hall to Belvior. We used today to seek out new spots, but with that Alberta clipper that came through around 10:30,and the fog and the lack of fresh bait,caught two carp about 8-10 pounds apiece in the cast net, a couple old shad and some eel, we managed two 15 pounders. But we did find new spots for a later date.(summertime) Most of our time was spent idling and looking. Still got a long way to go with the cast net thing, seeing as my commercial net guys didnt have any out this year. Tim, I told Clifton we would probably see you out there. And I am sad to say not one bite of the carp.

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ya Oran it was nice to see some many of you guys out there today. I looked for shad today and made alot of cast with not one shad in the net did get a carp and made to best of it as well. All the fish we had can off of it seems to low tide was the best for us as it has been the last 3 times.

8. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Tim,

Is carp a good bait to use in the Potomac all year long? Thanks.

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Its like most bait as long as it is fresh you can catch fish , Some days are better then others to we did ok. Just remember if that fish is in that body of water catch at some time has eatten it. I buy young crap Or salty's in the summer for bait and done very well on them.

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
  11. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Tim,

Thanks. I know at some point in the year some baits are better than others. Spring can be a good time to use "sour" carp, in many areas where the water has been frozen, though that does not happen too often with the Potomac. But, with the availability of carp in the Potomac, it is nice to know it can be used as a fall back bait when other types of fish are harder to find.

12. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I was wondering if you're using circle hooks or not? You seem to be getting lots up hook ups, so whatever you're doing is working. I usually use either a 7/0 and 8/0 Gamagastu (sp?) with a 6/0 circle as a stinger. I usually use a Carolina Rig, which I either fish right off the bottom or let it hit bottom directly down and then give it a few cranks to suspend it a bit off the bottom. It also allows me to add a slip bobber and fish the same rig at any depth I see marks. That fog can be scary, not knowing what type of careless person just might be out there. A couple years ago, I had to rely on my GPS completly, heading back to Golden Beach on the Pax after dark and in a downpour. All I could do is follow my track back to the ramp while on a slow plane. Goota love them!

Mike

13. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    We use 6 or 8 ought circle hooks with 8oz pyramid sinkers on a slide swivel fishing the bottom. Every now and then we throw on small treble hook stingers when the fish are biting short. Not sure if the stingers have actually helped or not. It just makes us feel better that we are trying to be tricky :tounge_out: . The thing is just waiting for the pole to bend in half. The circle hook does the job setting itself. Just have to make sure getting the rod out of the holder to not let any slack get into the line and apply constant pressure.

That's what we have been doing and having a decent time of getting fish into the boat.

14. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I use Circle and Kahle both 3 rods with each size 4/0 up to 8/0 have been trying to see what works better. Hook ups are about the same so far the big key I have found is bait size. I start off with bigger bait maybe 6 to 8" cut bait on two rods. I put 2 rods out with 3 to 5" cut bait and the last two with smaller bait maybe 2" and both hooks for each size bait. You will get a feel for what bait is showing the most bite on that day and it will differ. Some days the smallers bait will catch more bigger fish then the big bait. As for the hooks the only thing i have seen is on them day when the fish don't seems to be feeding all that much the kahle hooks seem to out fish the circle hooks. And circle hooks do seem to get more eye hooks on the smaller size fish.

15. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks for the reply guys. Do either of you use bait clickers or bait runners? I always let them run with it for a bit, which gives me a chance to get to the rod and do a proper hook set or sweep with circles. Besides, I love hearing the clicks! :wink: I'm about to pick up yet another rod and reel, since I don't have a bait runner spinning reel. My wife will be soooo pleased to see another set hanging in the garrage. The trick is that once you have around 25 or more hanging, it's hard for her to spot another! :cool2:

Mike

16. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    nice pics
    thanks for sharing

17. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    We leave the reels locked down and the key with circle hooks is waiting for the rod to "load", that is wait till it's about bent in half before touching it - we have also found it's bad luck to talk about a rod that is being hit - when we see one bouncing we refer to "what a nice day it is" without mentioning the rod. We just ordered some Khale hooks - we'll see how they work!!!

18. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Guys Just fish the kahles like the ciricle hooks and you will be find. I think I get better hook ups on the kahle hooks. Just let them load up and you will like them as well

19. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks Tim, I really wasn't sure how to fish Khales. By the way, Nathan left today for a Persian Gulf deployment, we expect him back sometime around March-April, about the time I head out as well. I sent you some pictures and some contact info for your online magazine at the email link on your website - if you want it and didn't get it, I'll send it again.

20. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Tawn I didn't get it sorry if you would sent it to catfishnation@aol.com and I will watch for it. I will be out there on the water again saturday if you would keep the fog home with you this time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: