Potomac River 3/31

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by krabaholic, Mar 31, 2007.

1. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    Had another great time on the Potomac today. We caught 37 Catfish, and one striper. The biggest Cat was an 18lb Blue. We caught alot of Channel Cats between 2-5lbs. It was alot like yesterday with 60 percent of the Cats being Blues, and 40% of the Cats being Channels. What a river.:big_smile:

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks for the report. What bait were you using, and were you fishing deep or shallow? Tim mentioned last week he was doing better in shallow water, rather than deep.

3. TShepherd

TShepherd New Member

State:
    Ft Belvoir, Virginia
    Good catch. Sounds like a blast Krab. Today was my third fishing trip on the river. Last Saturday I caught a 28, 22, 15 and 12 lber using cut shad all from the ledge just north of Ft Wash lighthouse. Went out late yesterday in the same spots and only caught small channel cats. Caught a few gizzards on the way back in and kept them overnight. Put a live one under a big float and feed it back with the outgoing tide over a 16ft flat near the mouth of Gunston cove. At 1030 I missed a big run so I added a stinger hook. At 1245 the rod bent and a 27lb Striper was on the other end and she had both hooks. It took a 12 inch Gizzard and made a snack. Fish was weighed and released healthy. Didn't do anything with the blues today even though I soaked big bleeeding chunks of shad all day. Probably wrong depth or location. Plenty of bait back in Douge creek. Wish I could have ran to the weigh in today but too many waves for my small boat. Good Luck to all and tight lines.

4. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Thanks for the report, sounds like a great day

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    we are gonna have to change your name from krabaholic to kataholic!!:wink:

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Tony,

Sounds like you had a great two days. Thanks for the report, and the information. If you are looking for a boat partner, let me know, I am looking for an experenced boater to help me out the first few times I take the boat out.

7. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Me, Mike & Bryan couldn't hardly buy a Blue today during the tournament - Caught a 25 lbs Blue, a 5 lbs Channel & a 2 lbs channel - that was it for the entire day!!! That equals the total number of Channels I have caught in the previous six months and we were using big chunks of fresh cut bait on big khale hooks - no chicken parts or dip baits!! We fished deep, we fished shallow, we fished something like 7 different holes which had produced for either Bryan or me in the past with very little success.

Finished in the Top 10 Though!!!!! (okay, okay - so there were only 13 enteries)

Thanks to Tim Hagan and his crew for putting on a great show - it was my first time and I enjoyed it even more than I anticipated despite our finish.

Two of our three fish were caught on the double hook leaders sold by Wild Wolf products here on catfish1.com.

8. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    REB,
    I was using shad and shrimp for bait. The 2-5lb channels were hittin the shrimp. The fish were a little more shallow today than yesterday I am still learnin but they seem like they are starting to move towards the 20' mark. I have only been to the river three times so I have got a lot to learn. I don't know if the info helps since I'm a rook on the river but thats what we did today.

9. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    Liberty,
    How many fish are you allowed to weigh in on the tournament?????

10. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Three - 93lbs won it ( a 31, a 31 and a 31lbs). About 25 lbs less than I expected it would take to win. We had a pretty off day but then again I think several folks did.

The Maryland ACATs show run by Tim Hagan is a great place to pick up info, meet like minds folks and have a good time fishing - checkout his website "Tim Hagan Outdoors" and check under the MD ACATS section on this website for more info including tournament rules and schedule.

11. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    Was it someone on the board that won?

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Ed how much would you charge me and Craig for fishin lessons?

13. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    I don't think I could teach you a thing since you are the catfish master, butI can fit the two of you on the boat free of charge w/food, cats and a lot of laughs!!!!

14. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    Tony,
    Sounds like you having a ball on thr river too.!:lol:

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    You guy will find that with the smaller baits like your fishing you will have a hard time keeping to eater fish off your lines. When I have kids out Chicken liver, hearts, Danny king baits or even small cut baits can and will put a 100 fish on any day in the boat. Even when the bigger fish won't bite the eater are there somewhat slower at the bait but they will bite. For us guys who mainly target big fish we don't see many fish under 10 lbs they just can't eat what we are offering for bait. A 8 to 12/0 hook with a 8" cut bait it's hard for a smaller cats to get hooked on. But you will hook some big cats on smaller baits as well. Last year I had a 9 year old boy fishing for eaters with a ckicken heart and hooked into a 49lb blue. So you always need to be ready for any size fish on this water as your next fish just maybe a state record catch.

16. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    Tim,
    Thank you so much for the Info. I was wondering what you guys did to let the bait soak longer because the smaller cat's hit it right away. I was marking large fish but we only caught one big one on Sat. I will start to increase the size of my baits. You would of gotten a good laugh on Friday when I was learning how to throw my new net for bait. It was ugly.

17. TShepherd

TShepherd New Member

State:
    Ft Belvoir, Virginia
    rebcatman, I'd be happy to hunt some bruisers with ya. I still need more post before I can send a PM. Just don't know if it's a good idea to post phone number or email for the public. I'm going out of town this weekend but will be fishing next fri sat and Sun weather permitting. I'll contact you soon.

18. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Tony,

Thanks. I was able to get the boat in the water yesterday, but never left the dock. That too is a story that should not be published. I am out of town this weekend too, so looking at the following weekend at the earliest.

19. TShepherd

TShepherd New Member

State:
    Ft Belvoir, Virginia
    you'll have to tell me about the trip, I'm sure I have had some memorable moments at the launch ramp but the sure cure is practice. LOTS OF PRACTICE. :big_smile: