Potomac River 29 December Fishing Trip

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by speciallibXO, Dec 27, 2006.

1. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Had to start a new thread for this Friday's fishing excursion. The weather is predicted to be nicer. A little warmer, but not even close to the wind that was out there today.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    good luck and have fun

3. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Told my son we would get out Friday or Saturday if at all possible. The trip on the James had to be postponed for a few days. I decided to go to Green Top in Richmond/Ashland and buy me a new 8ft fast sinking cast net for the shad in the Potomac. I'm looking forward to using it for the first time. Maybe we see y'all out there. Later for now---jonnycat

4. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    The weather is forecasted to hold up well. Prediction says winds at 3 to 5 mph. That will be a nice change from Wednesday. Suppose to be in the mid 50s. Now the fish just need to cooperate. We went and got some white perch and croaker. Going to see if they prefer one or the other. Both have worked well in the past. Hope to see some of you out there.

5. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I'm leaving now. Should be to the Marshall Hall around 8 or so. See y'all on the water---jonnycat

6. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    We'll be up river, North of the Ft washington Light. We should be up there around 0900. Good Luck & Be safe.

7. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Fished most all day and had fun. Got ten fish in this order; 22, 12, 10, 19, 24" striper, 5, 10, 5, 20, 3lb. Beautiful day on the river. Later for now---jonnycat

8. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Glad you had some luck - we caught about 10-12 fish. Maybe we're just spoiled but we were pretty disappointed. Biggest fish were 2 between 15-18 lbs, the rest were 3-5 lbs. Did catch one beautiful 7 lbs channel - nice golden color with speckles, he went 7 lbs. None over 20 lbs!!! We had an a$$ ton of bites but none seemed to take the bait - seems like they were just pecking at it - small ones I assume. We tried water from 8' to 70' with the same results - scattered small fish - nothing worth posting a picture of!!

I'm headed out for a short trip tomorrow. I'll be out betwen about 10am and 2 pm - see if we do any better.

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I will be out there tomorrow as well from around 8am on .Stop on by and say hi. Did you guys try for bait at all i will need to get some in the morning?. did you try down sizing the bait at all?

10. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    we used store bought white perch and croaker - we tried both big & little chunks. Today I may take along some liver, hearts & gizzards. Where you gonna be - I expect us to hit the area around the light and up by the bridge.

11. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Had to post at least a couple of pictures. Like Tawn said, we tried all kinds of different depths and bait sizes, but no luck getting the big boys to hook up. We did have a couple of real nice hits on the poles that looked like they could have been fish of good weight, but no joy. Here are the pictures.

Attached Files: