Potomac River 12/20

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by critter68, Dec 21, 2008.

1. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    I got a late start yesterday, but after a long search, I got a net full of shad – forty, yes 40 in one throw! Looked at a few spots but decided against them because of the wind and tide fighting each other. I finally decided on a spot thinking the tide was going to change soon. After a short wait, one rod buckled and the entire rod holder spun around! After fighting to get the rod out of the holder, I started to feel the line rubbing against something and realized the fish had wrapped around the anchor rope – 3 times. Well I got him out of that mess and successfully landed a beautiful 49 pounder! He was 7 inches wide between his eyes! Later I caught a little 15 pounder and then decided to move. At another spot, I got a triple of 10, 12 and 16 pounds. Several dinks in between, but all in all, a good day on the water. http://photobucket.com/december20

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm from Leesburg Va. but live in Richmond. I kinda know the area up there. Is there any spots to do some bank fishing?

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    GREAT story, and catch!!! Congrats!!

Bill in SC

4. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    David, Yes, there are a couple of places to bank fish. One of them is right under the VA side of the Wilson Bridge. I have fished that spot a couple nights this summer, but didn't do well because of bait. You can also fish at Gravelly Point which is right at the end of the runway of National Airport but you need a DC license to fish there. There may be other spots, but I only know of these.

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great fishing trip. Thanks for sharing.

6. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Nice trip out bro! We did pretty good to, But we couldn't pop the #40. I will be down there again on the 10th. Maybe then I will get it. What area where you fishing?

7. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    You can also fish at fort washington too.

Nice blue there! That is a heck of a catch of shad in a cast net!