Potomac River 11/23

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by critter68, Nov 24, 2008.

1. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Had to wait until 3:30 to get on the water. Tried and tried to catch bait - nothing, until.... decided to try one more spot to throw the net - GOOD call!!!! SIXTEEN CUTTERS in one throw! Went around the corner to meet up with Josh and his crew. Gave them a couple and went up river about 1/4 mile to try a spot. After catching a 10, 15 and 20 I called for them to come help me catch some fish. Josh said Nick had never seen a 20 pounder before so they came over and after releasing the fish, another 23 pounder fell victim to a big shad head. After the tide turned, the fish turned off there so we moved. Went to a honey hole and dropped 5 lines. Next thing I hear is Josh screaming for Nick to hang on to the rod and fight. A few minutes later a nice 35.4 pounder is laying on the deck. Not a bad start for a practical "catfish virgin" (he had never caught one bigger than 3 pounds before tonight!) But it was just that - a start. A few minutes later I hear the scream again "Nick, hang on and fight the fish!" Short fight later he lands a 29.4! We weren't done yet either. Nick ended up with another 21, I caught another fish in the low 20's, and their friend (sorry, I have forgotten your name) caught a 16 and a 25.5 - and they still took 10 shad home for a later fishing trip! Not bad for 5 hours fishing and really only 1 hour in that spot. Hopefully Josh will post pics soon.

2. cyrusthegreat

cyrusthegreat New Member

State:
    virginia
    Jacob

Here's a few of the pics that you mentioned. Just to reiterate what Jacob said, Nick had never been more than a "bait catcher" before this trip. The weight of just one of these fish was more than all of the fish he had caught in his life:)

Thanks Jacob.

We'll be in touch to try a follow-on some time soon.

Attached Files:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    LOOOKIN GOOD! LOL! I'm hittin the Potomac on Tuesday. Thanx for sharein.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Excellent, Keep the pictures coming.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Those are some very nice fish guys! Congrats on a great night of fishing.

6. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks for the post and nice fish guys!

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some great fish, congrats and good luck in the future