Potomac/James update

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by mikesxpress, Dec 27, 2009.

1. mikesxpress

mikesxpress New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Potomac Creek here at my house is still dumping large amounts of water and timber into the river. You can hear the creek from the house and normally you would never hear anything unless you walked down to it. Average depth is 3-4 feet at the headwaters. As of last night it was 8 foot and foaming. I will be watching the salinity levels due to the run off and salt from the roads. Hopefully we had enough snow melt and rain to dilute it. Should be interesting??

I was at the James yesterday and it had a little color to it and a few logs floating, but not bad. Bait was quick to get as long as you have a long rope on the cast net. The gill net wasn't hacking it with the majority of the bait below 6'. Water temp 40 and the fish were eating. Maybe a good option till the Potomac settles down.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Welcome to the BOC Mike..Thanks for the report.

3. Here-Fishy-Fishy

Here-Fishy-Fishy New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks Mike, I Was planning on heading out today but I've put that on hold, will try again next weekend. Would like to get a day on the water before our Jan. 9th tournament. Catfish fever has been bad, need a little pullage to cure.

4. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Thanks for the report Mike. Looks like a mess for a few days. Welcome to the BOC:big_smile:

5. mikesxpress

mikesxpress New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Things are back to normal on the Potomac less the full moon effect on the tides right now which are causing some low water tide changes that we have not seen in a few years. **Note - December 31 (Blue Moon on New Year's Eve)