Potential project 16 ft jon boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by gamedog357, Sep 3, 2008.

1. gamedog357

gamedog357 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am looking to purchase a 16 foot jon boat with trailer for $500 it has never been registered and I will purchase from original owner. She will include bill of sale with everything. it needs soe work. My question would be is it worth getting it will be my first boat. I am concerned about potential problems with it being so cheap. She said it floats but hasn't been in the water in a long time. Has been stored outside uncovered.Any tips and advise would be greatly appreciated. What all should I look for?

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    It really does not matter how good a deal it is if you have no use for it.
    Will a jon boat suit your needs in a boat. There should be a weight cap. and
    a h.p. rating plate on the transom. If you are going to fish larger lakes and
    rivers I think it should be rated for at least a 20 H.P. The boat will handle
    with a smaller motor but its the width and stability you need for larger water
    If you plan to fish small rivers and creeks you can fish from a small boat.
    $500 is less than half what a new big safe jon would cost plus you are getting
    a trailer. About the only thing that can happen to jon other than being bent
    warped or punctured is for the transom wood to rot and rivets to get loose
    and you can see this with the visual inspection. If its ok for the type of water you
    plan to fish it sounds like a good buy to me.

3. George walker

George walker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't think you will get hurt for that price! put the plug in it and fill it with water to see if it leaks, check the transom to see if it needs to be replaced, it needs to be in good shape don't want to lose your motor. Check the wiring on the trailer, and any wood rails also check the wheel bearings.

4. gamedog357

gamedog357 New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanks for replies. the transom wood is rotted plus the front decking wood has been removed. The trailer seems ok. where is the plug located i figure in the back near the transom. I plan to fish rivers and an ocassional lake. just relax and catfish and bowfish when possible

5. George walker

George walker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I rebuilt a 16' jon, go to Illinios site and click on boat project, you'll see my name. It might give you some idea's

6. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    I'd buy it for 500. Front deck woods a bad choice anyway. Too much weight on the bow.
    Transom wood? Sure drill out the rivits, use a new backer. Either epoxied wood, or a good man made one.
    Fill it ful of water? Never. The boat frame is meant to take pressure from the outside in, not from the inside out. The support ribs are not meant to stress out,but in.
    Biggest thing I'd look for?
    A lot of popped rivets in the floor and support ribs and or missing ribs and holes cut into the bunks.
    Those bunks are meant to give a "swamped" jon boat the ability to still float.
    These all just my thougths.
    I hope they help,Keith

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    The first thing I would do is call or go down to your local tag agency. Boats with no title could be stolen. I'd ask them ,since each state is different what is needed to title the boat. You don't want to buy it spend money fixing it up to find out that it can't be titled.

8. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Here in TEXAS,it's easy to register a jon boat. Just call the game warden and have him come and assign a hull id number to the boat. It costs around $30. Then you just register it at the tax office. When you do it,make sure there is no motor on or around it. That brings alot of questions,more so about the motor,but still more ???. Once it's registered,put the motor on. Just make sure the id plate is on the motor. Hope this helps.

9. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Do NOT fill the boat with water to check for leaks. The weight of a boat full of water will possibly damage the trailer and/or the hull. A few inches should do the trick.

:wink:

10. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Mo, are you kiddin?
    The game warden will come to you????
    Man, that'd be sweet!
    We here in NC have to go to a local office.
    Ya'll got it good.