Potential Disaster!

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Fishgeek, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have 2 aquiriums in my work/computer room. One is a 10 gallon that I have a small bullhead (~6"; that I caught when it was less then an inch long) and a small green sunfish hybrid. The other tank is a 55 gallon with some tropical fish in it...that I'm hoping will kick the bucket so I can replace them with native species.

Anyway, I was checking email late last night before bed & noticed that the water sounded a little low in my 10 gal. The trickle from the filter was a little louder than normal. I thought, hmmm, I just put fresh water in that a few days ago. I'll take care of it in the morning. Fast-forward to this morning: Sat down at the computer to check in here on the BOC and the trickle from the filter sounded REALLY loud. I looked over & the tank definitely needed some more water. My initial thought was "Wow, that lost a lot of water last night. I'll add some more after breakfast" Then I looked closer & saw standing water on the hardwood floor that ran across the room & into the closet. NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :crazy::crazy::crazy: Well, everything is cleaned up now. Probably lost 5 gallons of water, most of which ended up in the basement...or soaked into my wood floor. I'm anticipating the warping to be not so pretty:sad2:

I'm not sure where the leak is. I have the aquarium sitting in the garage now & it's not losing anymore water.

Regardless, I had to look on the bright side! Thank God it wasn't 20 gallons from my 55 gallon tank!!!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    coming from the pump then,Matt? that could have shorted itself out! always keep a loop in the cord for dripping.

3. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Wasn't the pump. The cord was completely dry so no water was running down it. I think one of the seams must be bad.

4. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    When you reseal it be careful some silicon is toxic to fish you can get food safe silicon or some made just for fish tanks at pet stores.

5. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    you mean fish tanks are actually for fish?? ive got 2 of them in my living room.. one has a chinese water dragon in it, the other has about 50 feeder crickets.. the only place i keep fish is in the bait tank chest freezer in the basement..lol:wink: